Polishing pad choice?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by ScottieB, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ScottieB

ScottieB Jedi Nuba

I would like you guys help on my choice of pads. First, I only have LC CCS pads. i have been using the green first with SIP followed by 85RD and a white pad. After reading countless posts, should I be doing something different?
    Only a few of my jobs needed 100% correction, by the way.
    Please chime in.

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

You can use the Green or White with the SIP. Get yourself a Black or Blue pad for use with the 85RD. The Black has just a tiny bit of cutting ability whereas the Blue has none. Both are excellent choices.

3. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I think most people will tell you that the least aggressive combo to get the job done is generally the correct pad choice. Some may say you should have used 85RD with a black pad, but each detail/car is different so 85RD with a white pad may have worked without a hitch. Personally, I would have gone with 85RD on a black pad if one pass with SIP on a green pad did the trick.

on the edit: what 911Fanatic said too :D

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Also to note, when uisng the finish polish with a white pad it has been known that holograms will show up a couple months down the road. This is why a finishing pad should be used with your finishing polish.

5. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Any idea as to why it would be a couple months before the holograms would appear?

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

For some reason it swells the paint , then after a little time the holograms appear. I noticed this several years ago and thought maybe it was me. Did some playing around and fixed it by using a finishing pad. Then it appeared on Autopia by Todd, and then a few others seen it so I was glad it wasn't my fault per say, just the nature of how the polish is used. That is what detailing is, trying to find out the perfect combo.

7. ScottieB

ScottieB Jedi Nuba

So here is what I believe the order is of LC CCS pads from most cut to least;
    yellow, orange, green, white, black, blue, and red.
    Am I correct?

8. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I think you got it. I'm not exactly sure about the blue and red, but I think you are correct. Be careful though as other pad companies tend to switch the colors.

9. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

That's correct. There's also a gold pad available that's even softer than the red.

10. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Any and all polishes will fill to a certain extent depending on several different factors. Ive seen holograms show up when using SIP after an alcohol wipe down.

Use a pad with nearly no cut when doing your final polishing. And when doing your final polishing, you should not be trying to remove imperfections, rather just jeweling the paint for maximum gloss. Also do your alcohol wipe downs and you shouldnt have any problems.

11. Reflect

Didn't know that. Where can you find one of these?

12. pektel

13. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

14. pektel

Looks like there's an echo in this thread! :p:

15. ScottieB

ScottieB Jedi Nuba

Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. Helpful as always.

16. Reflect

Pete, have you tried these?

17. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

See "Foam Pad Selection" in the Detailing School section

18. pektel

Not yet, but I still don't have a red pad for machine. I have a bunch of the round and euro red ccs hand applicators though.

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Most to least aggressive- (LC pads) Yellow, Orange Green, White, Black, Red and the least Gold; always use the recommended size backing plate for the sized pad you are using. Never use a backing plate that is larger than the foam pad or disc.

20. ScottieB

ScottieB Jedi Nuba

I could not find the gold in a size smaller than 6.5 inches. If they will make a 5.5 or 5 I will be all over it.