Polishing headlights...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by P1et, Nov 16, 2007.

1. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Easy now ruud boyz, evenin'...

I've got a Civic I'm doing tomorrow and the owner wants the headlights polished. Any ideas here? Orange pad with an aggressive polish?

:help:

2. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

Heres the link to the lights I just recently did, and the process I used
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/10450-quick-headlight-restoration.html

Worked pretty well if you ask me. I wasnt able to get them looking BRAND new, but the improvement was great if you ask me, and took hardly no time at all.

If you dont have a plastic polish like the PlastX, I would try a regular heavy cut polish, and even a compound if necessary.

Id never done it before and I just went for it, it was easy, im sure you can make quick work of it. I would just check them out before hand, and if they a REAL bad, let the customer know they will look ten times better, but not brand new.

3. P1et

Thank you for posting that! PERFECT! That's exactly what I needed.

What exactly is PlastX? Is it a compound in itself?

Could I use SSR2.5?

4. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

Funny you should mention the SSR 2.5. I tried it just the other day on another set of bad headlights, on my friend's mom's car, and guess what... it was a CIVIC! weird huh...

well the SSR2.5 worked well too, it removed almost all of the yellowing and cleared up the lenses alot, but it wasnt able to get the deep stains or "etching" that were on the lights. The plastX didnt get them either, but it did a little better job then the 2.5, so Im guessing its a little stronger then 2.5, which is why I said go ahead an use a compound if you need to.

Im not sure exactly what PlastX is, just that i know its for plastic lol

5. P1et

Thanks! Hah, that is strange how it was a Civic as well! Anyways, I'll try the SSR2.5 tomorrow and probably invest in some PlastX when I drop by the store next...

6. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

I have read that people wet sand plastic headlights pretty aggressively, which is why I just went to town on them with a yellow pad and the heaviest polish I have (I dont have a compound just yet)

happy to help

7. Nica

Nica Banned

I've polished head lights and tail lights with Menzerna polish/compound and it works good.

Look forward to the detail buddy :thumb:

8. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

When I do headlights... I wet sand with 1500 grit paper. Have a special polish I get from rightlook. the kit also come with a finisher. It's kind of like a lacqure that really restores the shine to the light!

9. P1et

OK, I used SSR2.5 on an orange pad and it actually did make quite a difference. The customer was very happy!

10. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

good to hear, it was simple and fast right? If I was a pro detailer I would definitely offer that service to people all the time, its quick money

11. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

P1et...I have used Mother"s Metal Power polish and had great results...it has a cleaner and also a fine abrasive...A friend of mine turned me on to it last year..and it works like a champ...I use either a green or white LC pad.....depending on how bad..and a 4" one also...I did one that would not pass inspection due to so yellowed and would not pass the light...I used mothers and it was crystal clear after....

Al

12. P1et

Fantastic feedback Al, must give that a try.

Is this it?

[​IMG]

or this?

[​IMG]

13. P1et

PS: anyone ever used Mothers Billet Metal Polish? It's on clearance at my local store...

14. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Yes I have, good stuff for OTC. How much is it on clearance for? I think I paid like 8 bucks at Wal-mart for the bottle....

15. Nica

Nica Banned

Yup, I agree with my home boy Sparkie about the Mothers Billet Metal Polish. It works reasonable, I purchased it and it works good :thumb:

16. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

P1et..its the lower bottle.....thats the stuff I use....its a nice product....they also make a Power polish for paint...works nice also on both paint and lights...but the Power Metal polish work very well on heavy oxidized plastic lenses....

Al

17. P1et

Awesome! I might just pop in the local store not far from my house and get the bottle of PowerMetal and the clearance paste Billet Metal Polish. And pick up some Lexol!!!