Polishing Headlamps

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Ottawamax, May 16, 2009.

1. Ottawamax

Ottawamax Virgin Detailer

I hope I'm posting this in the right section (Mods: if this is in the wrong area, please locate to right part of the forum). Over this long weekend, I'm going to tackle some dull looking headlights on a 2002 Altima and Sentra. I just want to confirm I have the right process down using the wet sanding method:

Tools: 3M Wet/Dry Sand paper for Automotive use: 1000 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit. 3M automotive tape, Megs Plastic X and buffing towels.

Steps:
    1) Soak the three types of sandpaper in three different containers (to avoid confusion) for at least 15 minutes. Should I just use regular water or add some soap (daww/sunlight) to it?
    2) Clay headlights and spritz some water on them to ensure good lubrication.
    3) Start by using 1000 grit sandpaper, moving it in one direction, horizontally. How long should I do this for?
    4) Wipe down headlights with buffing towel.
    5) Proceed to 1500 grit, repeat Step 4.
    6) Proceed to 2000 frit, repeat Step 4.
    7) Apply Plastic X to Mother's buffing ball and work product in for a few minutes.
    8) Wipe off Plastic X with buffing towel.

Please let me know if I've missed anything here. Also, how often should I soak the sandpaper in water and how long should I be sanding for before I need to move to the next grit. Also, am I using the right grit? The local stores in my area do not have anything above 2000 grit. I saw on another website that a combo of 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit was used with good results. Any help is greatly appreciated. I will post some pics when I finished.

2. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

Depending on condition and pitting of the headlights should determine how long/what grit you use. Once they feel level and flat with your roughest paper then move to a lighter paper. It all depends on the condition of the headlights on what grit to start with.

Your method seems fine

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Your process is pretty much right on but here's what I do in my process.

Steps:

1. Soak the three types of sandpaper overnight in the same bucket of water with a Grit Guard (the wet sandpaper should have the different grits on the back side)
    2. Start by using 1000 grit sandpaper, moving it in one direction until the surface feels fairly smooth and is thoroughly and evenly wet sanded.
    3. Check work and repeat if necessary.
    4. Proceed to 1500 grit, repeat Step 3.
    5. Proceed to 2000 grit, repeat Step 3.
    6. Proceed to 2500 grit, repeat Step 3.
    7. Proceed to 3000 grit, repeat Step 3.
    8. Follow with compound and an compounding pad then polish and a polishing pad.
    9. Compound and polish as deemed necessary.
    10. Wipe off any remaining polish residue and/or do an IPA wipe down.
    11. Protect with your LSP of choice.

4. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

i usually just use my rotary and a suitable polish to correction headlight and taillights. ive never actually wet sanded them, but i can see how it might be necessary at times.

5. AlvinOne7

AlvinOne7 Virgin Detailer

Just did my headlights with some m205 and white polishing pad and followed up by m205/ blue polishing pad and it seemed to work fine