Polishing around emblems

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Rennes, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

Hey,

I've been trying to figure this out ... how in the hell do you polish around and inside car emblems? I see those details and it's absolutely awesome. It looks like the guys removed the emblem, polished the area, and then put back the emblem.

How do you do it? Everytime I try, I either get:

-polish everywhere inside the emblem
    -polish slings eeverywhere since the emblem is not flat accross the surface to be polish
    -polish by wand? Looks like a smeared product everywhere

HELP please!

:shakehead:

2. VooDoo

VooDoo Birth of a Detailer

Ill tell you a secret, you remove it and then replace it depending on the level you want to goto.

3. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

VooDoo!! That was a secret!!

4. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

now I have to die since I got to know the secret ... right? :(

5. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

No...just don't let it leave DB...

6. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Yea removing it is 1 way,:shakehead:

:shead: but I would bet 99.99% of Profesional Detailers just clean that area with a Soft Brush and Clay while washing and then tape up before polishing.

7. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

I tried taping up the emblem, but the pad isen't reaching inside the emblem if I pass over it ... uhg!

8. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

If it is your vehicle, have you considered debadging? It really cleans up the appearance of certain cars.

If it is customers vehicle, I just clean it very thoroughly during the wash and tape during polishing. I will usually go over them with Q tips at the end of a detail to clean up any residue.

9. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

:shead:Is the area still dirty? if so hit it with some APC while cleaning.

If your just trying to polish that area, you are pissing in the wind.:hmph:

10. DanPonjican

DanPonjican Birth of a Detailer

Be specially careful on BMW emblems. I've ruined a couple polishing them. Surprisingly, they are not very durable. It's a good thing they are relatively cheap to replace.

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Its not so bad. Its like being married.....only quieter! LOL

12. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

lol well thanks for the heads- up ;)

13. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Just clean the lettering up well bro with APC and a brush. I don't get paid enough to remove it and then polish and put it back on. For a normal BMW or some other emblem that's just a circle, tape it up and polish around it.

14. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

yeah i'll try that on the next one I get.

I'll try and tilt my polisher around the edge of the emblems.

15. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Use an AIO type product like Klasse or DG 501 with a q tip. That's worked well for me.

16. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I've had very good success with using those little detailing sticks that have the polishing pad foam on the end of them. I believe I bought mine from Autogeek a year or 2 back. After polishing the entire car, I'll get one of these little sticks out, usually use the one with green foam. I'll dab some 203 on it all around and on top. Then, rotate and rub around the emblem. Definitely gets all the old residue out from inside the emblems and glosses it up real nice. Then, use a real fluffly side of a MF towel doubled over so the fibers get all the way in there to clean the polishe out. Those little polishing sticks have sure paid off!!! I belive they come in 3 or 4 different colors and you can get a multi-pack of them.

17. t-dawg

t-dawg Two Bucket System Washer

^^Wouldn't mind seeing link to said product if anyone knows who carries them!

18. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Not sure about those in particular, but they sound like foam paint brushes. Walmart has some that come in a package of about 12. I use them mainly to get around lug nuts, they come in various sizes ranging from 1" wide to 4" wide.....They cost about $2 a pack, hope this helps.:popcorn:

19. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

For emblem cleaning i'll use a toothpick to clean what i can't do with polish and a microfiber where the dirt is embedded. I then use Griots Fine hand polish to do the rest, also done with a microfiber.

20. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter