polish removal

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by shadybreal, Feb 11, 2008.

1. shadybreal

shadybreal Two Bucket System Washer

Would anyone mind composing a list of polishes in two categories? One w/ polishes that are easy to remove and one w/ polishes that are difficult to remove. I've been having a tough time lately getting all the residue off the vehicle. Seems like I may even add some light marring trying to get it all off. Any tips you may have would be nice as well. Thanks!

2. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

Poorboys SSR1
    Poorboys SSR2.5
    106ff
    XMT360

all were extremely easy to wipe off when completely broken down. The sling from SSR2.5 was a little difficult to remove if left to dry.

Optimum Polish
    I found this a little difficult to wipe away, not terrible, just not as easy as the others. I assumed it was because I couldnt t break it down all the way with my UDM.

3. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Bradley..some times over working a polish will set it up to a gummy type residue...meg's was famous for this at one time...try lessening your work time and do a wipe and see your corrections status...if more correction is needed add a little more polish...work a bit and check....

Al

4. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

hmmm, so its possible I was over-working the optimum? Or is that not probable with a DA like a UDM?

good info AL

5. shadybreal

shadybreal Two Bucket System Washer

It seems like it's not from overworking, but the polish just smearing instead of removing. You can really notice it when the sun hits the car just right.

6. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Bradley...some polishes seem to gum up if over worked some and will smear do to the pad spreading the gummed product....

megs is one..3M older perfect-it II and some of the III's did it....

its a shot in the dark but try working it for say a minute or a minute and a half..stop and wipe and see how the removal is then..and inspect what you did also...if need be try going over the area again with fresh polish and use same time frame....also if using wool spur often....and if a foam wipe it for each panel ...make sure the pad is not loading up with polish also...like in saturation....

Al

7. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

List what polishes you find hard to remove Shady?

8. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

It's also temp and humidity dependant. Typically Menz 085rd wipes off like it's hardly there. But in the summer when I overwork it just a bit, it hazes and causes a world of trouble.

9. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

It would help if you told us what polish you're using, in what environment, and what MF you're using.

10. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I have the same problem sometimes, I just hit it w a qd and it removes the residue. Menz can be funny sometimes

11. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

Using a thinner nap towel will help - or a Cobra edgeless towel will work.