polish new paint

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by nyrep1, May 20, 2011.

1. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

question....something i have never understood....why is it your not supposed to polish new paint....the painter wet sands and buffs the paint so why cant it be further polished to the point its swirl free....i understand not waxing it so the paint cant outgas

i ask b/c i have a car with fresh black paint on the front end (2 day old) and while the paint is like glass the painter left horrible horrible buffer trails and holograms on it. its so bad i dont even want to drive it....any harm in hitting it with some 205 or sip lightly?

2. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i have cg glossworks , wmf . and 3m imperial hand glaze i may try those out

3. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Was the paint dried using heat lamps, etc., ??? Did the Body Shop tell you to NOT buff on this paint at all for XX number of days ???

Yes, the Painter did use a Rotary on it and wool/wool blend pads, and they can only do so much to bring out gloss, but not used properly, they can leave the things you describe and they show up especially good in black paint. Sorry for this happening to you.

I just buffed out a fresly painted Jet Black BMW X5 and it still had a slight "paint smell" to it, but it was almost gone
    I used a Rotary with a Lake Country Hydro-Shred Cyan Pad and Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (PO83), followed by their Tangerine Hydro-Shred Pad and Menz Power Finish PO203s, and C/G EZ Creme Glaze on their Crimson Pad, and the results were perfectly clear, deep, black, glossy paint.
    The reason I didnt finish down 1 more step say Menz PO85rd and a black, red, or crimson pad, was because this was not a custom detail, this was through the Body Shop who hired me, and they dont like to pay as much.
    So, if you can answer my questions above to your satisfaction, and the paint is not so wet underneath that its smelling up the whole garage, you are probably ok to work on it as long as you are careful, and dont heat up the paint so much that it causes major problems. Please be careful..
    Good Luck !
    Dan F