PO85RD vs 106FA

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by yiyiyi204, Feb 8, 2009.

1. yiyiyi204

yiyiyi204 Two Bucket System Washer

Any significant difference between the two? They seem very similar to me.

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

They are similar in that both are classified as finishing polishes but thats about it. The 106FA, with the right pad is capable of very minor correction. By that I mean that it can remove the fine lines from washing the car but thats it. It will finish down quite nicely, ready for your LSP. PO85rd on the other hand, can not achieve any kind of correction. It is purely a jeweling polish. Use a black, blue or new gold pad with this polish and you'll be amazed at how bright you can get the paint, even if you've used 106FA before it. My current go to combo is Power Finish (it cuts as well as SIP and finishes as nice as 106FA) followed by PO85rd. Sweeeet!! I would go with these two and don't worry about the 106FA.

3. yiyiyi204

yiyiyi204 Two Bucket System Washer

Thanks. I will consider picking this up now.

4. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

That's good to know regarding the Power Finish. I was trying to decide between that and Scholls and I chose that instead since I'm used to Menz products.

5. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

Hey Ken I currently have PG, SIP, 106FA, 85RD and use it accordingly

PG - Yellow/ Wool
    SIP - Orange
    106FA - White/ Black
    85rd - Black

I don't see where to work in 85rd, is there a big diffrence with 85rd after 106?

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

There is a difference using 85rd after 106fa. Also great explanation Ken, nothing like finishing with 85rd.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

I would have to agree, I very much prefer finishing with 85RD then 106FF, just my :2cents:

8. stealthmode

stealthmode Two Bucket System Washer

Would i get the same results if i went from sip to 85rd as i would sip, 106fa, 85rd? Is 106 really necessary after sip if im gonna go over it with 85rd?

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

What pad are you using with the sip?

10. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

I was going to ask the same question. Can 106 be replaced by 85rd? (for the most part?)

I use either the orange LC pad or the Green LC pad. Depending on the paint.

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

If using the orange pad then I would use 106fa, then 85rd, usually you can get away with going to 85rd after sip and a green pad.

12. 911Fanatic

You've got everything right. If you can get away with using the Green German CCS from PAC or White CCS in place of the Orange with the SIP as suggested by Dana, you can probably go straight to 85RD on your Black pad. If you have to use the Orange pad, you should use the 106FA before the 85RD because normally, the Orange pad will leave marring the 85 RD will not be able to remove. When you finish your SIP, I strongly recommend getting some Power Finish. It will take the place of SIP AND 106FA.

All depends on what pad you are using with your SIP. If you are using Orange, 106FA is advisable. If using Green or White, you should be able to go to 85RD.

See above. Typically 106 after the Orange pad, 85 after Green or White.

13. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Couldn't have said it any better!

14. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

seems like a good amount of people really like the power finish. havent picked any up or tried it out yet. i do the standard SIP. 106FA, 85RD process. cant go wrong with that. so from my understanding, you can do SIP, and then just finish down with power finish and just call it a day with two steps? is it really that good that jeweling with 85RD isnt necessary?

15. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

No, follow up Power Finish with 85rd.

16. 911Fanatic

Exactly. Power Finish replaces SIP and 106FA. Then follow up with 85RD. I guarantee you'll be happy.

17. billyblooshoes

ahh i see. thanks guys.

18. 911Fanatic

Anytime! Is that a Passat in your avatar?

19. billyblooshoes

no, its my 08 MKV GTI.

20. 911Fanatic