Plastic welding

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Dannyk, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Has anyone ever tried doing this ? Any further input on this topic would be appreciated. Looking for possible repair on a corner light bracket tab that is broken.

2. edwinbong

edwinbong DB Forum Supporter

JB weld?

3. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I have repaired broken light tabs with a tube of "plastic weld" with great results. I forgot the specific type/brand, but I'm pretty sure I bought it at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.

I strongly suggest that you "slightly" chamfer the edge of the crack with a small grinder (to increase the amount surface contact for the "weld") and use a small c-clamp to hold the two pieces together (if possible). Try not to drive the car for the rest of the day and you should be fine. It's easier if you remove the headlight to perform this kind of repair.

A pic of the crack would definitively help ... not all cracks can be repaired.

4. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Sorry i don't have a pic to show, but it is from a corner light from an 90 Nissan 240 JDM style car. The tab that connects from the main headlight attaches to the corner light and that broke. Looking for a secure way to reattach it. Saw some articles about plastic welding and was curious about it.

5. GDAL

GDAL Guest

The actual plastic welding and "plastic welding tube" are different processes. Both with achieve the same result, but the professional plastic welding is going to be neater (but more expensive). If you can't see the tab, I would go with the DIY stuff.

6. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

ditto. keep in mind it will not be as strong as it used to

i have used the plastic weld epoxy a few times with great results. in some cases i had to ad more "bits" to add strength, but that is to be expected.

you should be able to pick some up at walmart / home depot / hardware . etc etc.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I'm familiar with the technique and it's something I'm going to do pretty soon with my motorcycle plastics when the weather gets a bit better; it has been raining lately.