Plastic gauge cluster cover always scratches

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Chaseme, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Have you noticed that the plastic cover on a car's gauge cluster is one of the easiest things to scratch in the history of mankind?

Why is that? Does it have to do with an anti-reflective coating?

And what do you do to clean it?

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The plastic is extremely soft. I usually clean them when I do the windows. Some glass cleaner and a mf towel should eliminate the scratching problem.

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

For this kind of plastic I make sure to use OPT Opti-Clean when wiping down. It is even more robust than no-rinse at suspending dirt and protecting the surface being cleaned from damage.

Also, you can hand polish this area with powerfinish or 85rd and a clean mf towel. It should help reduce the damage.

4. Jordon

Jordon Two Bucket System Washer

I honestly never touch mine. If anything i give it a little shot of compressed air (if you use this method, just be sure to be a little distance away). I guess it all depends on the car but mine never really get dusty - Am I the only one? lol :tumbleweed:

It's really soft indeed, my guess is because it should be very clear and that's probably the best plastic for that type of clarity - unfortunately not for durability though!

5. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

I'm so scared of scratching the plastic as well. I usually dust it first and then use mf/glass cleaner.

6. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

Usually don't touch it, if you have to blow it off first and using a product like Plexus works well if needed.

7. Believe

Believe Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Good results with plasitic-x

8. richy

richy Guest

Sounds like a good use for CQ or OC to me.

9. Chaseme

Its driving me nuts!

Driving in the sun i noticed marring all over. I have a plastic cleaner polish spray. Applied with MF didn't seem to help much.

Any suggestions?

10. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Try powerfinish and then 85rd with a MF towel, work it for a bit, use a QD product when wiping off the residue

11. Polygon

Polygon Virgin Detailer

I just replaced this in one of my cars as it was scratched and cloudy, mostly likely because someone used Armor All on it. I'm going to take the old one and try three different techniques to get it looking like new and I'll post up the results when I'm done.

As for prevention. I absolutely refuse to touch it unless I have to. I use compressed air to clean off dust. If I have to actually touch it I use a little steam and a MF towel.

12. Chaseme

I just used 85rd on a blue pad this evening. It's hard to see anything under LED, so I'm anxious to get it into the sun. I'm thinking this combo worked very well so I commend your recommendation.

13. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Cool, let us know how it goes. I am always interested to hear if stuff that works for me works for others....

14. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Yes post up some pics man if possible, I would like to also correct this on my mustang gt.