picked up the FESTOOL Shinex RAP 150

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by scheerspeed, Apr 1, 2011.

1. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

Georg Weidmann from Swissvax recommended me to try out FESTOOL tools, since that's what's used at all the Swissvax Detailing facilities. So recently i saw that they came out with their latest rotary polisher, the Shinex RAP 150, and i had to try it out. I looked around online and all the online stores seemed to be on backorder, so i decided to look around for a local solution. i found a lumber and hardware store here in Miami that is a full dealer for FESTOOL. I stopped by a week ago, placed an order for two of the machines, and i picked them up today.

photo-1.jpg

My initial impressions:

-comes with it's own backing plate. similar to the 3M one.
    -Very light
    -Quieter than the makita
    -seems to vibrate less
    -better hand position
    -longer power cord, hopefully it won't fail like the makita did
    -2 prong plug, does not have a ground.
    -seems very solid

I'll be trying it out for the first time on Monday, and I'll post my impressions after using it.

If you are looking for one you can order it from Shell Lumber in Miami. Ask for Alvaro in the Mill shop.

Attached Files:

2. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

how much was it if ya dont mind me asking

3. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Last I read they are 400.

4. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

Quieter than the Makita sounds impressive. How is the maneuverability with the grips/hand location?

5. scheerspeed

Got it for $400

I can't say much about the grips because I haven't used it yet.

6. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

What's the thread size on it? M14 or 5/8?

7. kaisernaut

kaisernaut DB Forum Supporter

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I would love to find out how does this new polisher compares to new Flex...

9. Kaban

10. MelF1fan

MelF1fan Birth of a Detailer

I've been looking at maybe picking up the new Flex but looking at this Festool, my mouth is watering lol.
    The crappy cord on my Makita is going again.

By the way, i just saw a thread on AGO about a new Dewalt coming out?

you can read about it here:

http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=656.0

11. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Cool anticipating the review

12. scheerspeed

So i used the FESTOOL yesterday to polish a E46 M3... pictures coming soon...

It was GREAT! Miles ahead of the makita! the only bad thing that i found was that the polisher overheated once after like 3 hours of continuous polishing. Keep in mind that yesterday was a VERY hot day in miami, around 90 degrees and 100% Humidity. when it overheated it went into like a "safe mode" where it didnt go past speed 1

PRO's:
    -Much lighter than the makita, thus my arms and hands never felt even the slightest bit of fatigue
    -much easier to control due to better grip position and lower center of gravity
    -VERY quiet... well compared to the makita... you can actually hold a conversation without yelling while you are polishing
    -Hand grips stay cool and do not heat up, however the motor itself does get very hot, but the polisher was engineered to not let the hand grips get hot.
    -longer power cord helps a lot

con's
    -Overheated
    -M14 spindle (couldn't switch backing plates with the makita)
    -the backing plate it came with is very stiff compared to the 3M one

13. Kaban

Thanks for the update my friend!
    You know, you can always buy a 3M backing plate with the M14 fitment. 3M part number 09552.
    Good luck!

14. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

That is a sexy machine. Nice purchase

15. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

lol, feel free to add your own review of the two :)

- I replaced the original Festool BP to the 3M one, when I got it - I also found it too hard/stiff. M14 thread is great for us europeans, heh. It's weird that your machines are overheating though, my shinex hasn't done it yet. It does get a bit hot, but no overheating.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

16. astro_ng

astro_ng Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the review, i'll have to look into this to add to my collection! Eventually... :p

17. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

Don't the Festool's come with the snazzy green cord anymore? :thinking:

18. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

They come with the black cord. If it's a adapter like 20Amp -15, it will be the funky green...
    I have quite a couple of sytainers with Festools if not their vac as well...

19. Addicted2Shine

Addicted2Shine Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Bought it and totally impressed,great polishing machine.Anyway i'm proudly the first owner of RAP 150 on Indonesia:D
    [​IMG]

20. Kaban

wow nice..... what's the polisher right next to the festool? Looks almost identical.