PFW to apply sealant

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by kaiten408, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

So, I know a lot of people have used and enjoyed the PFW (Purple Foamed Wool) pads. They offer great correction in less time with less heat and leave little marring after wards.

But I had another person, Troy from Detail City, tell me that he recently used them for applying a sealant (4 Star UPP) to his entire car with it, well actually his wife did :thud:

He claims that it was easier to control the Flex this way while applying a sealant and left a great finish. Obviously he didn't apply any pressure besides the weight of the machine. So have any of you tried this out or have you relinquished the PFW strictly to polish work?

:campfire:

2. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

So nobody has even thought about this? I'm starting to question whether or not I should try this :shead:

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have never tried it or seen/read anyone who has. Only issue I would have is that the pad has a good amount of cutting ability and to me it would leave some marring and the pressure you may have to apply to spread the sealant is going to be enough to cause marring. That is my take on it, rather apply it by hand or a blue/red LC pad.

4. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Dont really think it was meant to do that. It may have caused the sealant to act as a polish with that pad. I dont think I'd try that.

5. richy

richy Guest

I wouldn't recommend it either. You get a car with really soft paint and all you'll do is make yourself a whole lot of unnecessary work.

6. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Unless it was Mercedes CCC or something like that, then holograms are likely going to show up in a couple of weeks. Plus the wool seems like it would absorb the sealant more than applying it.