PC to make UDM?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by littlemissGTO, Aug 5, 2008.

1. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

Did anyone else get this?

2. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

...now why would anyone want to buy a UDM over a PC, now that they are the same machine? This is a pretty brainless move and a big step backwards, IMO. :crasy:

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

The UDM was not a very good machine. Instead of the UDM, why wouldn't you just buy the regular PC???

4. littlemissGTO

I don't know guys. I just got this information in an email and was like umm this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

5. Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I thought the UDM was a pretty good machine. I got a later version that already had the switch fix and I can notice a difference in power between the PC and the UDM. My only complaint, and this is a minor one, is the shorter length of the power cord.

I was surprised to see the UDM turn into a PC 7424, but I guess if anyone wants the extra power the UDM offered then the Meg's G110 is probably the way to go unless you want to move to a rotary or drop some extra cash on a flex.

The e-mail that littlemissGTO posted looks like it was meant for a dealer who retailed the UDM's so I doubt that most of us will receive the same notice.

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

The vibrations on the UDM made it unbearable to work with. Power is nothing without control.

7. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

I guess I must be used to my UDM, I've had it for over a year and I never noticed excessive vibrations. It does have more power than the PC, and aside from a few nit-picks I have with it (numbers on the speed dial completely worn off, etc.) it has been nothing but reliable for me (knock on wood).

That said, when it dies, I will probably just toss it rather than get it repaired now that it has no warranty, and pick up a Makita (I also have a PC).

If the cost from the government tax in Asia is going up substantially, then shouldn't we see a price increase for the Meguiar's G110, too?

8. Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I guess we just had different experiences with them or our versions were a bit different. I sometimes run the UDM with one hand just like I do with my PC and never experienced excess vibrations, even at speed 5 and 6.

Yeah, you'd sure think so. The only difference is the UDM was assembled here in the states and the G110, AFAIK, comes completely assembled from China.

9. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

Really, never knew that.

10. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I do not know if I buy the government tax stuff.

The company I work for buys stuff from China (subassemblies/finished goods) all the time and I have not seen any mention of tax issues. I may ask our procurement team in China what is going on. It is tough to IMPORT stuff into China. I will be over there in about 4 weeks to meet with one supplier.

11. eShine

eShine Guest

We stopped selling the UDM when over 30% came back for replacements. When we stopped carrying them we were informed that they would be using Porter Cable as their new supplier and the quality would improve but looking at the specs we are unsure if it is just a relabelled PC. Anyone have one to compare?

12. Onelazydawg

Onelazydawg Virgin Detailer

saw one on ebay and looks just like a PC to me :yikes:

13. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

The new UDM *is* a relabled PC, the specs are the same. The people at Autopia tried to explain the benefits vs. the PC (something like the UDM was actually made to polish cars, whereas the PC was meant to polishing furniture or something), it was kind of a lame explanation and didn't really answer any questions.

Don't get me wrong, I have had no issues with my UDM and I like it, but IMO it has been a huge flop overall.

14. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

My UDM failed after only 2 months of use. I sent it in for a replacement and got one right away. Yes, their CS is awesome, but the UDM is a poor machine, which I would never recommend. It vibrates way too much to the point that your hands are numb for days after a full day of polishing and we all know it is not reliable. After getting the Flex, I only use my UDM for applying LSP and for polishing tight spots that require a smaller BP and pad.

15. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I have a UDM. I have not used a PC but the vibrations do not seem that bad. I usually hold it by the head and not the side arm.

16. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I did not know how bad the vibrations were until I tried the Flex, then man could I tell the difference. Same goes for the noise. This is how I felt every time after doing an entire car with the UDM [​IMG]

17. littlemissGTO

I'm not a dealer. I purchased one directly from Autopia maybe that's why they sent me this email. To say the least I was surprised when I read it.

18. dengood1

dengood1 Birth of a Detailer

I love my PC........glad I didn't switch. My next will be a Flex.