Paint Thickness readings (car specific)

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Misha, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

please post paint thickness for cars that you did,

this can usefull for somebody who is doing correction and doesnt know history of the car. maybe not too usefull for ppl with paint gauges but probably is for ppl without one. this probably can tell you if car was repainted or something. preferable information

car make and model, year
    color
    paint thickness gauge used.
    single stage or clear coated
    where readings were taken

what product was used to do correction

i think ill make posts for each car make and update first threads as information is added.

Acura

Audi

BMW

Bentley

Buggati(dont think this would be needed)

Chevy

Honda

2004 honda accord
    night hawk black pearl
    HLII PTG
    Clear coated
    average reading of 120microns, hood was in 200 range, could have been repainted, i dont know.
    Menz 203 works great and gives great shine even without 85rd

2002 honda civic
    white (probably single stage)
    HLII PTG
    probably single stage
    average reading of 77 and no lower then67microns. readings were taken all over the car
    Menz 203 works great and gives great shine even without 85rd

Ford

MB
    most 2005+ have ceramic clear coat which is very hard
    2008 MB S600, used Menz compound and menz 203 was used

Nissan

Toyota

will add more later

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

this will be very difficult to do because every car is cared for differently and is just different to begin with.

For example:

Customer 1: BMW X5 (drives through the tunnel car wash 2 times per week)

Customer 2: BMW X5 (drives through the tunnel wash 1 time a week and has kids wash it once a week)

Customer 3: BMW X5 (doesn't drive through tunnel washes at all but has it professionally washed 1 time a week)

the paint readings will differ in all of the vehicles depending on washing and what elements they are exposed to and if they are garaged or not . . . .

just my $0.02

3. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

well. any info is better then none right :)

4. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

Misha, I have a suggestion actually for your thread.

Paint readings really is hit or miss. I would post how the clearCoat reacts to different polishs. Sticky? Hard? Soft?

I think everyone would benefit in this :)

5. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

ok i guess that can be done. i was trying to make this as guide for different makes. i mean we just need average thickness for each make and i guess cars that are made in same factory couse im sure each will vary

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Paint Thickness by Vehicle Mfg

• German and Japanese cars: 4-5 Mils
    • With the exception of: Lexus-White and Tan: 5-7 Mils,
    • Lexus- Black and Silver: 4.5-6 Mils
    • BMW: Silver: 6-7 Mils
    • FORD: Approx. 5.5-7 Mils
    • GM Cars and Trucks: Approx. 4.5-6.0 Mils, Jimmy’s and Blazers: approx 7 Mils
    • Chrysler: Approx. 5.5-7 Mils (Note Sebring hoods are fibreglass)
    • Dodge Cars: Similar to Chrysler Dodge Trucks and newer Ram Pick-ups: Cab approx. Mils and the boxes approx 9 Mils
    • Jaguar: approx. 6-7.5 Mils (but they tend to vary)
    • Jeep Grand Cherokee: These read approx. 6-8 Mils, Wranglers: approx. 4.5-5.5 Mils

Note- the above are provided for information only

Paint thickness will often depend upon the OEM paint specification, which can vary by vehicle assembly plant. It’s interesting to note that painters must now demonstrate proficiency with an electronic paint thickness gauge in order to become certified to perform paint refinish warranty work for General Motors Corp. (GM) vehicles.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet.© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Chances are you'll learn something and advance your knowledge of detailing if you read any of these.

7. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

^^thats good and all but difference between actualy paint will differ a lot. thats why i wanted specific readings that will reflect year and model

8. richy

richy Guest

Misha..your theory is good but in practicality it will not work. Take Infiniti for example, several detailers on this board (Ken and Carlos come to mind) have found that the cc on the roof of several models of Infiniti have very thin cc. The ones I have done, including one with thin cc on the hood, did NOT have thin cc on the roof. The ONLY WAY TO BE SAFE is to measure the ACTUAL car you have on every panel to know conclusively what you're dealing with. As far as which paints are hard, soft, sticky, etc, I think I remember someone doing a thread about that maybe a year or so back.

9. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

fine. damn it. oh well i tried.

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Get yourself a PTG and compile a list by make, model, year, colour, OEM plant paint specification. We'll wait with baited breath ;)

11. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Thanks Jon, I didn't relize that my Jeep Wrangler was lacking in the clear coat department. I haven't had the money to invest in a Paint thickness guage. My Wrangler is a 1999 and has been polished to the point that I really need a guage before any more correction takes place. Once agian you have saved the day.

12. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Here's another strange reading. I have a friend who got hit while driving his E46 M3 home from a track event. Among other things, the hood had to be replaced, and while the body shop did a good job on the match, it needs to be polished pretty badly. So, no original paint on this hood at all. The reading? 70-80 microns. :thud: I've never seen non-OEM paint that thin. I told him that I wasn't comfortable polishing that hood at all.

13. richy

richy Guest

My PTG has saved my butt several times on cars that you would not expect to be thin (like a Mercedes I did last summer).

14. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i have HLII PTG. but like Richy said its gona useless.

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Paint Removed by Polishing

Using a medium abrasive polish and a rotary polisher will remove approximately 0. 1 Mil (3µ (Microns) Range 0.8 – 1.1 Mil (20 – 28 µ) from the paint surface (typically 4 passes at 1500-1800 RPM) but there are many variables such as the abrasive grade of the polish or compound and speed and pressure used that may affect the paint removed) These numbers should be checked with a paint thickness gauge (PTG) There comes a point when you must judge wither removing a scratch will compromise the clear coat and if so you’ll have to ‘live’ with the imperfection.

A paint thickness reading of 4 Mil < ( 100 µ (Microns) is reasonably safe for polishing. 3 – 3.5 Mil ( 80-90 µ) I wouldn't use anything stronger than > 2000 grit polish, 2.75 – 3.0 Mil (70-80 µ) > 2500 grit polish and under 2.75 Mil (70 µ) use a glaze.
    If you have reservations about the amount of paint surface removed or the amount of paint coating remaining the use of a paint thickness gauge (PTG) is arbitrary
    Note: 1 µ (micron) = 0.0393700787 Mils

These numbers are offered as a guide only, as there are too many variables to provide any more than an approximation.

100 – 200µ 4 – 8 mil - normal paint thickness
    80 – 100 µ - 3 – 4 mils, thin paint
    80 µ <- less than 3 mil, very thin paint

16. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

^^^ Thanks togwt! That was very helpful!