Paint on pads...

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by SilverGTV8, May 22, 2010.

1. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

Hey All,

I detailed a Honda yesterday (up in the show and shine area) but my problem is that I can't seem to get my pads clean.

The owner had put some touch up paint all over the car to hide some blemishes but it transfered to my pads during polishing (well that's where I believe it came from). :shead:

I was able to get the center of the pads clean but the outer edges about 3/4" wide still have the red from the paint...

Is there anything I should be doing to get it off or do I need to at that? I don't want to use these pads again unless the paint is not a problem.

Thanks!

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

What was your process to get the centers clean? Knowing that will help us tweek your products used or the way you are going about cleaning them.

3. jason827

jason827 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

As what I have heard, Honda cars in red colour are two stages paint, and the paint might transfer from the surface to your pad. Please correct me if I am wrong.

4. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Not sure is it a good idea, you can try priming the pad (push it into the pad with your fingers) with fabric detergent then soak for like 10mins before washing. Normal soaking and scrubing tend to leave some un-clean patches. I do this for stubborn stain especially those use with AIO and my pad always come out like new.

5. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

All the other times I have washed the pad I have just run hot water and worked the compounds out of the pad, this worked to get the center of the pads clean but the outer ring is real stubborn, just like it normally would be though, but I am not getting any compound out or color because the water is still clear.

I can try soaking it and see what happens... Thanks for the suggestion.

6. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I soak mine in warm water and some APC then i massage it until it gets all foamed up, sometimes i'll do the cycle twice, if that doesn't work i am throwing it into the washing machine on hot

7. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Use an APC and spray it on generously, then scrub with an Edge Foam Pad Conditioning Brush and then rinse under warm water.

I dunno what it is about the Foam Pad Conditioning Brush but it gets the pad clean every time.

8. CEE DOG

CEE DOG Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have a 3 gal. bucket with water and Pad cleaning powder mixed. After I'm finished with a pad I spray some XMT pad cleaner on the pad. Let it sit a minute and throw it in the bucket. Then continue polishing with my next pad. When I'm all done I get the foam conditioning brush out and scrub all the pads and spray them out with the hose and then squeeze them out. Then spray them out again and squeeze them untill clean.

9. Audi2.7t

Audi2.7t Two Bucket System Washer

I use a very little amount of dawn dish soap in a bucket and foam it up and let the pads sit for about 20 minutes, massaging the soap into the foam every 5 or so minutes. This has always seemed to work for me with no problem

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Spray generously with APC, let soak for 5 -10 minutes and rinse out with warm running water.

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Was it the red s2k you detailed? Those cars have soft paint, and the clear on the red s2k's is tinted.

I clean my pads using either dp polishing pad rejuvinator or xmt180 pad cleaner spray.

I know about the s2k paint, as a former owner (silver) and I have detailed a red s2k 3 years in a row for a client.

12. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

Yup it was the red one, I didn't realize the tint on the Red S was tinted... I will have to pick up some of the pad cleaner listed.

Thanks everyone for the replies.