Paint in Carpet

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Chas, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I am going to be doing a detail tomorrow on my former business writing professor's Kia Sportage including exterior and interior. She told me on the phone that she spilled paint in the trunk about 5 years ago and let it sit, she cleaned up what she could. I told her that the chances of me being able to do much was slim. Do you guys have any recommendations if there are any? Thanks.

2. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

bump.

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Depends on what kind of paint it is. Water based = well water will get most of it out, latex I think is not bad getting out but do not know how time plays into all of this. Hmm...ok so I do not have any good answers other than good luck and try everything you can and try to find out what kind of paint it was.

4. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I have been reading around on different "how to sites" and most say water based is easier but that if it is latex you have to be real careful. Some recommend turpentine or some paint thinner, I am just worried if that has potentially negative long term affects.

5. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

do you have access to a steamer? i hit everything thats questionable with the steam gun lol if not maybe a heavy duty fabric cleaner could get some of it out. CG Fabric Clean 5:1 hasnt let me down yet

6. richy

richy Guest

As Bones used to say "Jim, I'm a doctor, not a magician"...steam would be your best bet, but if that does not do it..oh well.

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Ugh! That sounds like one that might not be fixable. I had to remove a bunch of latex paint from the exterior of a car not long ago - and that was REALLY tough. I can't imagine what a struggle getting it out of carpet would be...if it's even possible.

8. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Spray paint it the same color as the rest of the carpet :p:

Actually, I have heard of dealerships doing that to stained interior carpets :eek:

Honestly though, she should probably just buy new trunk carpet. It's a Kia. How expensive could it be?

9. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

i forget where or if maybe i was dreaming when i saw this but i believe theres a product for black carpet interior thats basically a spray paint that allows you to mask stains or discoloration. as I type this im starting to remember where i saw it. Ill be back as soon as i find it.

edit:
    yep i found it, Jesse from Apollo Auto in Hungary did this write up recently Ferrari Scaglietti 612 in which he spray paints a part of the carpet. looks good for what he used which i think was just matte black spray paint. if he uses it and can pull it off in a Ferrari, i dont see why it couldnt be done in a Kia :p