Paint Correction Saab 9-2x (Saabaru)

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Will, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Will

Will Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Saab, a well known Swedish automotive manufacturer, sometimes uses platforms from other companies and rebrands them as their own. They give the car a facelift, some upgraded interior and other misc. parts. In this case, they took the 2006-2007 WRX Wagon platform and made it into a luxurious sport wagon. My clients vehicle was starting to show its age and needed another facelift, just as Saab did to the WRX wagon 7 years ago. From a quick glance, the car looked to be well kept, and it was cared for, but some parts were fading and there was severe marring and swirling all over.

There were also many deep scratches across the passenger doors as show in the picture below which he attributed to his girlfriend's bag... :shakehead:

[​IMG]

The car got the usual before-detail regiment

• Wash and degrease (including the jambs and wells)
    • Clay bar all painted surfaces
    • Taped off all sharp edges and trim

After getting the vehicle prepped I tested out a few panels to find the best possible pad to compound combination. I got to work immediately as I knew I had a lot of work ahead of myself. Here are some 50/50 shots of the panels. All of the scratches were superficial enough to be removed from the doors. The hood scoop was severely faded (as seen on the right side) but most of the oxidation was removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paint correction process took about 7 hours to complete and overall was a huge success. Most if not all marring and swirling had been removed and the vehicle was looking better than it had coming off the showroom floor. Here are some more final shots after paint correction had been completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the client was on his way to pick up the car I decided to dress all of the trim to balance out the contrast between the trim and the high gloss paint. I also buffed and restored his exhaust/exhaust tip. You can't have a freshly detailed car and a dirty exhaust.

[​IMG]

Supplies Used:

• PC7427
    • 3"/5" Megs MF Pads
    • 3" Uber MF Pads
    • Chemical Guys V36/V38
    • Chemical Guys Blacklight
    • Chemical Guys V7

And with this detail was the final detail my PC will ever see (until I fix it of course). RIP Porter Cable, you served me well.