Paint correction: flat rate or hourly charge

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by ShinySideUp, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Two Bucket System Washer

I read a thread from last month but I think it was pertaining to doing an entire detail rather than just paintwork correction.

So what do you charge when it comes to repairing paint work?

2. Twista616

Twista616 Virgin Detailer

Ok, now, a correction detail and repairing paintwork can mean two different things. To me, repairing paint work, means the car was painted incorrectly, so it need to be fixed in someway.

Paint correction means removing scratches, swirls, oragne peel etc.

Most people around here charge per hour when in comes to Paint correction. My correction details START at $350...then go up from there...usually take 4-8 hours...depending on condition of the vehicle. I never give a person a set price until I actually see the vehicle. That $350 is a starting point for a customer to see...Ive only done a couple around the 350 mark since they didnt need much. As a nice touch, Ill usually do a quick interior job since the customer isnt expecting it, they love it and it creates repeat business...thats the main goal.

Everyone different and area plays a huge roll on what you can charge

More people will chime in here...

3. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

This is an area I usually sell myself short on and always end up doing it for much less than I should be charging. I try to tell people that my details start at 300 and go up from there dependin on how much paint correction is required. Of course they all tell me how their car has hardly any swirls or scratches and when it pulls in is a total mess and covered in swirls and deep RIDS.

Everybody is always looking for a deal and knows somebody that does it for 75 to 150 bucks. That is when I have to explain that I too can for that price but I will do the same thing that they do and just go over it with a cleaner wax and fill the swirls and that they will be back after the first wash etc...

4. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Its funny to me your statement about how everyone knows someone who is way cheaper......than why are you at my shop??? lol They know they either made that statement up..or the guy sucks at what he does..either way we are winning right?!

5. mixxer

mixxer Birth of a Detailer

50 + hr for correction

6. jsatek

jsatek Birth of a Detailer

I do an exterior only correction and seal with Zaino for $425.

If I think I have more work than 6 hours, I figure the rate at $70 per hour above the $425. Some are $425, some $900.

7. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

wow you guys are making money hand over fist!

I cant get that money where I live, but I am trying :)

8. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Two Bucket System Washer

100% true...Never ceases to amaze me. Then they say that they only hand wash it, and you gotta wonder if they're using a scouring sponge from their kitchen sink.....???

9. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

That's it, I am raising my prices. No wonder people love me so much.

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Are you guys full time, or doing this as part time?

11. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

i want to know also... damn i want to make that kind of money also.

12. FuelTuner

FuelTuner Birth of a Detailer

The door rate at my shop is $75/hr. Its hard to tell ppl that each and every car is different and that it is hard to give a quote as each and every job is pretty much custom.
    But , Dark color correction usually starts at 4 hrs, and I am happy to walk them through the procedure and show them the products, clay, wax, etc.
    Even the dealerships that we do work for have never heard of P21S , Swissvax, Zymol, etc. I belive that product education is pretty important.
    Than they tell me Im too expensive and MING said that they will never have polish or wax again!
    And..... They're Doomed.
    Oh well.. Cant winn them all. Right? LOL

13. Auto Makeover

Auto Makeover Virgin Detailer

If you're new at detailing or not that many people have heard of you start off with regular detailing , when the customer comes in explain to them what Paint Correction can do for there car and if you sell the job make sure you blow them away no matter how long it take because word of mouth is everything. But if you are getting customers that have a $3000 Taurus they just will not spend $500 or more for a detail. It take time my friend this will be my 17th year in business and year after year I just push away cheap cars because I know they are looking for a $150 job ,I just try and tell them in a nice way not the type of work I do but be nice about it because you'll never know that customer some day may show up with S550 Benz it's happen to me.