Pad Deforming

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by luke093, Aug 16, 2011.

1. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Seems like every time I look at someone's collection I see pads that stack perfectly flat and look unused (maybe that's the case). But mine start deforming. I use a PCXP and have noticed that my flat pads are mushrooming over time, and my MF pads are flexing as well.

Is there any way to stop this? I actually ruined one of my 4" pads due to the backing plate digging into the back.

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Are your pads too big compared to your backing plate? With a lot of overhang, and pushing on your buffer mixed with the heat that's created, they'll start doing that.

3. luke093

Nope, pads measure at 5.5" BP at 5". I think it might be due to the pressure I applied with the KBM method. The others 3.37" BP on 4" pads.

It's not so much mushrooming but on the majority there is a light indent where the BP is and after washing and drying the back of the pad isn't flat.

4. TurboJoe

TurboJoe DB Forum Supporter

How are you washing your pads? Pad washer, by hand, or in the washing machine/dryer...

5. luke093

By hand always. Spray either ZEP Citrus, or CG Microfiber Wash and work it in. Rinse and finally squeeze excess water or on the PC spin dry.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

My guess is the pressure you are applying. I use a 5" bp with 5.5" and 6" pads and haven't had any issues and some of my pads are around 2 years old.

7. StuLax18

StuLax18 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've noticed my GG waxing pad is bending a bit (and it doesn't see much pressure), but none of my HD pads are. Of course, the HD pads have the hard plastic support, which I have found to be infinitely times better than their old pads. I would wear through those within a couple uses from the pressure.