Pad&compound combo

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by jason827, May 30, 2010.

1. jason827

jason827 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

hi folks?
    What combo(s) do you use on soft paint work?
    I am working on a toyota suv and I am using M205/orange, then follow up with P203/white pad, and powerlock/black.
    But I cannot remove all the scrathces using an orange pad. Should I go with a M105/orange pad, and how about 85rd? does it work well with soft paint work?

2. Dial Up

Dial Up Birth of a Detailer

well what i learned from the folks from DB

which tool(s) are you attempting correction with? rotary or d.a. ?

what size pad(s) are you using?

which brand,some colors are same but difference in cutting ability....

1. PowerFinish 203/green 2. 85rd/ (final polish) white LC or blue Uber

* could be a starting point, depending on your paint condition......

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

2. M205 / 85 RD- Finishing polishes
    1. Menz Power Finish -one-step scratch remover
    3. Menz Powerlock - polymer sealant

4. jason827

PC 7424 xp, LLC 6.5" pad

5. nnnnny

nnnnny Virgin Detailer

Try M105 with Orange First , and then M205 with White , PO85RD with Green and then Power Lock with Black or Blue Pad you will have awesome result , I have worked on a Toyota Camry before

6. 1st off your pads are to big. Go with 5.5's OR 4" always

2nd off I don't beleive the unit your using has the nads to accomplish what your looking for. Your using all the right products, just the wrong machine IMPO

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Soft Paint Finishes - PO 85 RD 3.01 Super Intensive Polish (F) black or dark coloured paint surfaces, and 'soft' paint - 1200 RPM -White primary (softer less dense foam (70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action) LC CCS foam pad followed by a secondary Blue finishing (very soft 100 PPI) LC CCS foam pad - 1100 RPM

8. jason827

I am sorry. I am actually a 5.5' LLC pad, and I am thinking to get a 4' one to deal with the smaller and curve areas that my 5.5' pad can't reach.

9. jason827

How about P203? Should I still include this in the combo?
    and what pressure should I use when working with M105?

I have worked a Camry (silver) using the combo I listed, but I just couldn't correct the RDS and some fine scratches.

10. nnnnny

nnnnny Virgin Detailer

P203 is great to remove swirl marks but it does not have the cutting power compare to M105 , M105 will be able to cut a lot more fine scratches and swirl marks , apply light pressure with speed 4 or 5 with an orange pad , follow with M205 with a white pad you will have awesome result , follow with a pass with PO85RD to gloss the result .

If you want great result with P203 then try it with yellow pad and then orange pad ,

M105 has a very short working time and it drys out really quick , when you first work on your vehicle do not hesitate to apply a little more product on the pad to soften the pad , you will do a 6 passes , 3 horizontal and 3 victical ,

let me know how the result goes

11. jason827

Thanks for you advice nnnnny.
    I will try M105 after I received my new white pad (the one I have been using is now broken). I will take a few shot at the paint next week if the weather permits.
    But is it easy to take the clear coating off from polishing with M105?

12. nnnnny

nnnnny Virgin Detailer

If you have a DA , there is no way to strip the clear coat even with a compound pad , try not to hold the polisher on the same spot for too long as i will generate heat but if you have a DA there should not be any problem , M105 is a compound product , it does mar the paint a little but follow with M205 will fix all the imperfection