P21S wheel gel

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Dust2Glory, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Anyone remember this stuff??LOL Ever since Sonax came to market, I don't ever see this stuff being used. Figured maybe they'd tweak their formula to do the same function as Sonax

2. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

Amazing what a little color changing and the right "its great" product pushing can do for a product that definitely has its limitations in the grand scheme of wheel cleaning eh? With Sonax being around so significantly longer than it has actually been popular, its pretty clear it basically caught the right marketing wave. I know alot of european detailers actually disregard it because its not cost effective or effective in general for detailing needs.

Whats funny to me is that a majority of the "OMG ITS AWESOME" type of reviews are from hobby detailers and guys actually interested in taking care of their vehicles. Discounting nobody, cleaning a cared for wheel with anything is going to be much easier.

For reference, I can throw megs apc(or any APC) on just about any wheel that hasnt been cleaned in a while let it sit for a minute or two and pressure wash off 90 percent of the brake dust and road film.

3. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Never was a big fan of p21s, didnt really see the point of it. Gotta say I love Sonax though. The two aren't comparable.

4. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Ill admit, I submitted to some of the hype when sonax first came out. I still have a bunch of it but most times now I'm reaching for autoglym custom wheel cleaner. Love that stuff. Now I'm thinking about off loading my sonax surplus lol.

5. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i was impressed with sonax just not cost effective if you do more then a car or two a week.....i will stick with zep citrus and mg wheelbright for the tough stuff

i keep some p21 around for those more delicate wheels

6. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

I don't want this to turn into a "what wheel cleaner do you use thread" because god knows we get that every 2 weeks but last time I heard of P21S was from a WesR thread or when people are talking about the P21S "RED"

I love my AG CWC but I want to try to use Meg's APC or Zep Citrus as much as I can.

7. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I typically use Sonax on cars that throw a lot of brake dust, or on euro cars especially. For domestic makes or lower end details, it's diablo or zep, some wheel acid on occasion if sonax doesn't break down fully

but I like sonax overall, using their bottle helps spread it more evenly and I find I use less

8. IOMCAMARO

IOMCAMARO DB Forum Supporter

I never bit into the Sonax either. The only bottle that I have was given to me by a friend.

9. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I use P21S Gel because I know it's safe and you don't have to use as much as you think. I went from 100ml per wheel to 200ml for all 4 with the same results.

10. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

I finally got some because I got a good deal on it, otherwise I usually reach for IronX for heavy stuff or Bilberry for light stuff.

11. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

How'd you like it? I enjoy the fact that I can let it dwell for some time while I take care of other things thus speeding up my detail.

12. IOMCAMARO

IOMCAMARO DB Forum Supporter

I wish Bilberry wasn't so expensive to get into the US. I was gonna get a 5L, but it was $135 to ship it to me..... no thanks.....Where are you guys getting the Bilberry??

13. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

To be honest, I like IronX much better, I find it to be able to break down brake dust faster, but it's not cost effective either.....
    You're not missing anything, Bilberry is great for maintenance, okay for heavy duty cleaning. Pretty cost effective as a maintenance cleaner if you ask me.

14. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

P21S wheel gel was probably the first "professional grade" wheel cleaner I got. I still have a bottle laying around somewhere. i love it and occasionally break it out. I love that its a gel so that little product is wasted by running off.

Also, they claim it can sit for 15min-2 hours on wheels. never had to let it dwell for that long on a wheel but i have left it on for quite a while. its great stuff.

On second thought, Why hasnt Chemical Guys tried to "engineer and develop ,ON THEIR OWN, they very own awesome-super-duper-ultra-mega-uber-didwesaysuperalready wheel cleaner that turns red when the wheels are clean and looking like playas in the sun BOSSSSSSS".... I thought they wouldve by now..... well, they probably did, but I just cant find it on their site

15. Car wash soap still works great for me. I only use iron x if irs a customer car. They seem to love that wow its turning red/purple

16. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Ive always liked P21S gel. Never got a hold of the "red" stuff from UK. No worries, Ill always have a little of the regular in the arsenal. This stage of my game I can just look at a wheel and know whats gonna work so I dont waste time. I have (4) wheel specific cleaners and P21S gel is one and could care less what else comes to market. I found what works for me.

17. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Same here ... I still have more than half of the 5L container I bought when I first came out. It's not a bad product and it works well, but CWC works the same (if not better) and it's cheaper. Like MikeAesthetica mentioned, a good APC will take care of 90% of the vehicles out there. I mainly use Sonax on my buddy's STI.

18. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I bought a gallon a while back and it's still almost 90% full. If wheels aren't that bad, you can get it pretty clean using just soap and water. And if the wheels are bad, they get Wheel Brightner!

19. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I use Sonax on sensitive/high end braking systems. Everything else gets AG CWC

20. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I prefer Iron-X for heavily soiled wheels and an APC for lightly soiled wheels. Sonax is just too expensive.