P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by SuperBee364, Jul 16, 2008.

1. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

Since spring, I've been experimenting with different pre-wax glazes, trying to find the best alternative to HD-Cleanse.

So far, I've tried Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, RMG, and P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser (GEPC). GEPC was recommended to me by Picus over on "that other" detailing board.

HD-Cleanse is known for being an extremely difficult product to use, but it does produce very, *very* nice results. It has great cleaning ability, good filling ability, and leaves a great gloss. That's all assuming you can get the damn stuff off of your paint, though. MFTG is just kinda all-around mediocre. RMG produces a *fantastic* gloss, but doesn't have much cleaning power (in spite of the fact that it smells like strong solvent), and good filling ability.

GEPC, OTOH, is very easy to use. It has good cleaning ability, decent filling, and leaves a gloss superior to that of HD-Cleanse. It can also be applied by PC, which greatly speeds up the process. Just rub it in, allow it to dry, and the resulting glaze residue is *easily* removed by hand. The stuff works, and works *very* well.

I let my wax deteriorate a bit more than I normally do. This resulted in some bug hits on the front of my car that wouldn't come off with a normal wash. GEPC, applied by hand, made quick work of these little nasties. It works very well on the windshield, too. Like the other glazes mentioned, it also works well on plastic, rubber, and trim.

GEPC also makes it easier to apply very thin layers of wax. It's hard to explain, but once you've seen the effect, you'll know what I mean. You don't get those streaky, missed areas that are so common when applying wax. And it makes hand-applying Vintage even easier.

I still prefer RMG for use after abrasive polishing, but for general pre-wax use, GEPC is an amazing product.

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Thanks for the reviews. I've been looking into some of these products.

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I must be confused because I thought glazes were meant to fill and gloss up a vehicle. I wasn't aware that some of them had cleaning abilities!

4. Brent

Brent Birth of a Detailer

I thought you mentioned in another thread that you finally got HD-Cleanse down pat (wipe on and immediately wipe off) and now loved it.

5. SuperBee364

Yeah, I do have it down to where it's not nearly as big of a PITA as it was. And I continued to use it this way until I ran out. However, once I ran out, I decided to try some other things to see if I could get results as good or better than HD-Cleanse, and possibly cheaper. :)

There's no doubt that HD-Cleanse is good stuff, and if you use the two-handed method (one hand applies, the other removes) it's much easier than allowing it to dry. But as it turns out, there's other products on the market that give just about as good of results without the aerobic work-out.

6. SuperBee364

It seems like about half of the glazes are marketed as having some cleaning ability to em. Cleaner Fluid, HD-Cleanse, GEPC are all marketed as having cleaning ability, yet they are all glazes, too.

7. Brent

Have you tried the S100 version to see if they are the same thing? It is called S100 Shine -Enhancing Cleaner. It is considerably cheaper than GEPC and I was wondering if it is the exact same thing like many people claim P21S Concours Wax is the same as S100 Carnauba Paste Wax.

8. SuperBee364

I haven't.. I'll put it on my list, though.

9. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

GEPC is an old old favorite for some of us 'fogies' to detailing. Glad you enjoyed it Bee.

:)

10. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

GEPC is old school and has been around for ages. I remember when it was all the rage along with S100...

11. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Ah, I see. Guess I'll have to really read the fine lines when it comes to glazes. I might give those ones a try but probably not anytime soon until business picks up, hopefully.

12. SuperBee364

I'm pretty new to the whole glaze thing. Until I tried HD-Cleanse last year as part of the Vintage experience, I never used em. I always thought glazes were crutches to make up for poor prep. But opinions do change...I'm using glazes on every car I do now.

13. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Do you normally top P21S with Vintage? Have you tried vertua bond?

14. Brent

Good to see you have had a change of heart. I never have understood the negative view of glazes. Even the finest polishes with the softest foam pads will live miniscule marring in the paint due to the abrasives only breaking down so much. A good glaze help with that marring and adds wonderful gloss.

On a side note, when you use the S100 Shine Enhancing Cleaner, please let me know of your views of it compared to GEPC. Once I finish up my sealants, I will be giving carnauba's a try and I am wondering if I can get away with using S100 instead of GEPC. Its ability to be purchased locally and it cheaper price make it very appealing.

15. Cooter

Cooter Guest

What about SV Cleaner Fluid? Kinda pricey but its easy on/easy off.

16. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Thanks Supe this is another product I am eager to try

17. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the review this is now on my list to definitly pick up! I used MFTG today and it wasn't the best experience either. And am not very happy with it at all.

18. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

My favourite paint cleanser is Four Star Ultimate
    Sensational by machine, gives a really rich deep colour
    As for a glaze, Prima Amigo is #1

19. SuperBee364

Today was the first time I used Vintage over the P21S. I've used the P21S under several other waxes, all with good results. Previously, I'd been using HD-Cleanse under the Vintage just to make sure I was faithfully following Zymol's directions for Vintage. Honestly, I think it looks better over the GEPC. I haven't tried Vertua Bond... so many products, so little money!

Couldn't agree more about the glaze point of view. Honestly, it's probably going to be a while before I get the S100... I've been buying detailing products like crazy lately.

That one is still on the "to be bought" list, too. I came really close to buying this one for testing in the first batch of glazes I bought, but decided to buy both of the new Megs heavy compounds, instead.

They're going on the list, too. I'd like to try the whole Prima line, really.

20. Cooter

Cooter Guest

SuperBee, being the good ole Cooter I am. I'd be glad to send you a sample of the SV stuff that I paid for with my hard earned money!! =)