Ozone Machines? money maker or bust?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by DetailnDude, Feb 18, 2009.

1. DetailnDude

DetailnDude Birth of a Detailer

Have any of you used those Ozone machines? They sound kinda scary to me. but if they really work does anyone in business actually profit from them?

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The ones with the plates vs the tubes are way better. They aren't scary, you just cant sit in a car with the ozone machine running as it works by removing all the oxygen in the vehicle. No oxygen, bacteria die. Its pretty simple. In our area, guys are charging $50 for 4 hours and up to $75 for overnight treatment.

3. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

Well they can be scary. If you run an ozone generator next to a rubber band you will see some of the risks. After some exposure to ozone the rubber band will fall apart when you go to pick it up. That means some vehicles with over exposed weather stripping and rubber pieces (older cars, H1's, farm tractors) are not well suited for that type of service. The other issue is that it is not 100% accurate which makes it difficult to honestly sell. Also, most ozone generators need the vehicle to be completely dry to be effective.

4. dlzc

dlzc Virgin Detailer

Ozone generators do NOT "remove all the oxygen in the vehicle". A percentage of the oxygen is converted to ozone. Ozone lyses the "lungs" of a bacterium (little fat deposits on its cell wall), causing it to "bleed" to death. :graduation:

MWAUTOPRO is right to add a word of caution about ozone's effect on rubber. This includes padding in seats, and foam backing in carpets and headliners. Neither long duration nor high concentration is adviseable, and repeated short cycles have the same effect as one long dose.

Humidity control is critical, if you are doing this in a desert. Ozone + water vapor = effective odor / contaminant control. Anything else is inviting damage before the desired effect is obtained.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

You are correct. I was over-simplifying the scenario. Thanks for the more in depth response.

6. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

I've seen them react with certain cleaning chemicals and cause a bleaching effect on carpet and upholstery.

7. DetailnDude

DetailnDude Birth of a Detailer

Thanks for the Reponses !
    So it does seenm to be a little scary as I originally had thought ! I love this group you guys are saving me money already ! Too many risk for me to bother with it..
    Thanks Again !:cheers:

8. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

amen to that. i was talking with a friend yesterday and we were going to go half on one. but now reading this i might rethink the idea.

9. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

If you are thinking of one I just suggest that maybe you get a little training in it first. A lot of commercial cleaners use them in homes and offices. I forgot where I saw it but I did find a list of courses and some of the courses where for the ozone and UV machines.

10. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

you do not need a course to run them..hell i have stuck a large unit like the ones sharper image sells and it got rid of everything over night..i just used and extension cord plugged her in and shut the door.. also the small ones for the outlet work but don't work fast..definitely need it in for a day and on newer bmw's and some others the power isn't on when the car is off so it is kind of useless.

11. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

You're not talking about the same type of machine. I think you are thinking of a home air purifier and not an ozone generator.

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I don't think Sharper Image sells ozone generators. :giggle:

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Good thread as I've too have been interested on ozone's for a wile now. Like all the tools, eduction is required. I'm no expert on these units but I've read a few articles as to the power of these units but at the same time I've also read the draw backs if the unit is not used/set up properly.

A course sounds like a great idea, the better educated you are the lower the risk of causing damage :thumb:

14. Denzil

Denzil Guest

After reading this thread, I'm kind of turned off to purchasing an ozone generator now. Maybe as this thread progresses and we learn more about how to use an ozone generator I might change my mind. I'm just glad I haven't run into any interior details that require one.