Over do sealant?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by fellowsdrake, Jan 10, 2013.

1. fellowsdrake

fellowsdrake Two Bucket System Washer

Can you over do sealant? I like how well Prima Hydro Seal turned out on my car can I do it to often? Like as long as I still do the hydro wash before...

2. eShine

eShine DB Pro Supporter

I have found after two or three layers, you are just wasting product and time.

3. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I would imagine that after a couple layers it wouldn't make any difference how much you put on.

4. fellowsdrake

Does the hydro wash remove the sealant? (I'm honestly not 100% sure what sealant does just know it looks great)

5. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I honestly don't know what hydro wash is xD Does it contain chemicals that strip off waxes/sealants?

IIRC sealants bond with the paint on a molecular level, so I would guess that applying more than a couple coats wouldn't do much. Unless of course the hydro wash strips off the sealant every time you use it, in which case you would need to re-apply often.

6. fellowsdrake

All I know is the hydro wash is non polymer. So it doesn't leave shit behind that'd get in the way of the sealant.

7. Nick@Prima

Nick@Prima DB Certified Manufacturer

No, Hydro Wash will not remove your sealant. It is very compatible with HS.

You can certainly layer HS. The second coat seems to go on much easier and more consistently than the first. As mentioned, after about three coats you are running into diminishing returns.

8. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

I typically do 2 layers of whatever I am using and then every so often, top it off with another layer if it is possible, or strip it down and reapply. I have never seen a benefit of applying more than 2 full layers at a time...

9. fellowsdrake

I'm a little curious to the application of hydro sealant. Is there such thing as too much water? I have a lot of spots that the water puddles at.

10. fellowsdrake

Bump? I'm doing my edge today

11. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

i never have the patience to fully wait until sealant and waxes give up. more than 2-3 is a waste. hell the slickest sealant i have ever used is a cheap one called rejex. one customer is nuts over it on his 60 corvairs. just used 4 star upon the recommendation of Cooter and it also is amazing. just stick with the Prima for now. its good stuff. i am ready to try out the new optimum glass products.

12. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Water should not be puddling on your car, unless for some reason there is some kind of valley or crater on it. other than that, the LSP should more or less "force" it to run off.