Ottawa Earthquake

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by ps3king, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Hey guys,

So I experienced my 2nd earthquake experience. Happened today in Ottawa, Canada. An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.0-5.5 shook up the city. No damages though in Ottawa although damages were reported in Quebec (60 km radius I believe). Nobody hurt thank God and it was a surprise.

I was at the TD Bank filling out the paper work to create a business account for detailing when the building started to shake. It started off with a slow rumble and then picked up. My initial reaction was that it was construction but when everything started to shake even more I realized that it was an earthquake. Everybody rushed outside quickly. The whole thing lasted under 10 seconds I would say.

I'm sure all you Toronto folks may have felt it too (Toronto is 400 km away).

Waseem

2. Starcar

Starcar Birth of a Detailer

Felt it here too.

3. Ottawamax

Ottawamax Virgin Detailer

I definitely felt it too. My new plasma fell off the stand and shattered all over my floor. I doubt warranty is going to cover it. In a weird way, the Earthquake felt sort of exhilarating.

4. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I can do a 5.5 in my sleep man, in fact, we do all the time. :whistle: :p: Glad to hear all is ok though.

5. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I have the funniest story to tell...

Ok here it goes. It was the last day of school (exams) and I got my G2 licsence 3 months ago. I drove a CRV for the time being, but being the last day of school I wanted something extra! I asked my parents if I could use the RX350 just this one time and thankfully they agreed, as long as I parked the car in the back of the parking lot :) So from school i dropped off my friends and of course, at when the red light turned green, BAM! It was a fun drive (please note that I am a responsible driver, I rarely speed, just bursts of acceleration thrill me). Moving on, I drop my friends off then come back home. In the garage I notice that I should try my Opti-Bond on the engine bay. Get a foam brush and the Opti-Bond, unlock the car pull the trunk release and all the sudden the car makes these noises like liquid is draining, its moving side to side, Ohh S&#$ what did I do! Release the hood up, the car still making weird noises and moving side to side. Check under the car! Liquid!!!! Check oil levels and other fluid levels, check the exhaust, and fuel tank and the car stops moving. Thank goodness! 2 hours later, I talked to my friend and he said if I felt the quake, "huh, what quake, is this a joke?" All the sudden I realize... the car was moving because of the quake, the liquid was just condensation of the AC, and the sound was the fuel rocking side to side.

Sorry about the rant, probably pretty boring... Im in Mississauga too.

6. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Dang dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

7. Dial Up

Dial Up Birth of a Detailer

Sorry to hear about that. Living here in Cali ive dealt with quakes all my life. Only bad thing

about them never know when they'll hit and or how long they will last(the shaking)

8. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

yeah in cali we dont get excited unless its over like 6.0, 5.0 is nothing to even get out of the chair for

9. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Glad to hear that my friends in Canada are okay so far, they are talking about it this morning on local radio. A few ppl have called and said they actually felt it here in Cincinnati.

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

lol nice, i bet you though you screwed up the car somehow, i bet your thoughts went "maybe i shouldnt have accelerated that time, could be couse of that"

11. Nissaner

Nissaner Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I didn't feel it personally, but many people felt it in the Windsor/Detroit area also...although maybe common in some areas, definitely a rarity around here!

12. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I was spooked! I thought the engine was somehow overheated, and something broke! Regardless, it was a weird feeling, somehow a bit thrilling BUT I wouldn't want it any stronger. And I'm 500miles from the place it occurred :S

But glad to here no one got hurt! Definitely odd in this area. But I remember about 13years ago we had a light shaking like this too, possibly a bit stronger.