Organized My Clay

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by kustomizingkid, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I was always running out of clay so I finally bought a few big bars of CG clay, I had been bringing the big bars with me but when it came time to cut off a piece it was always a PITA, never had the proper knife with me etc. So I decided to precut a selection of clay and put it into a nice organizer to bring with me to all my details.

Here is the organizer I bought for $2 at HomeDepot, along with the three bars of clay I use most, Sonus Green, CG Gray, and CG Purple.

[​IMG]

Then I cut the bars up using a large kitchen knife.

[​IMG]

Doesn't that look great!

[​IMG]

Then I labeled the container.

[​IMG]

I'm really happy after doing this, it will be nice just to grab a chunk of clay and go from now on.

2. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

Wowww its really look great ... I love the way how you separate them from fine to aggresive ... its nice idea ... many will follow then :) thanks for sharing ...

3. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Nice, very clever.

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

That's a lot of clay!!! Nice!!!

5. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Nice. Do you reuse clay?

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Never... as you can probably see I like to use as small of piece as possible, Got it down where a normally contaminated car can be done with one block of gray. If I am correcting I go straight for the purple as it induces quite a bit of marring, but makes the process very very quick.

If I have to use a second piece and wast a little it's no biggie... usually I will do the glass and wheels to not waste the second piece if I do use one...

7. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Looks good! I'm going to out-do you though and put mine in a velvet lined jewelry box.

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I really like this and I'll be purchasing one myself and doing the same thing. Pre-cut all the pieces one time when I have nothing to do or when the kids are playing outside and then I don't lose any time during a detail.

9. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

That is AWESOME

10. fricker66

fricker66 Birth of a Detailer

Awesome solution there. Great idea.

11. acc1079

acc1079 Guest

Very nice idea!!! Thanks for sharing!

12. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Excellent idea :thumb:

Suits me perfectly as I always cut my clay into pieces and dispose of them after use!

13. Paul S

Paul S Birth of a Detailer

Looks like the edges on the container are sharp and E-XTREMELY dangerous. To help you from being injuried you can send it off to me for disposal. As always just keeping the saftey of fellow detailers in mind.
    As always the thought comes to mind " Why didn't I think of that " . All kidding aside , good idea.

............................... Paul S .....................................

14. MikeyC

MikeyC Two Bucket System Washer

Great idea! I'm not sure how quickly you go through clay but if it takes you some time you may want to consider wrapping the pieces in some plastic wrap so they don't dry out.

15. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Like the idea. I've always reused my clay but use bigger pieces. Probably use it too long (inner cheap skate).

What size do you cut them into?

16. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

I think we should put the pieces in a cigar humidor with the humidifier and humistat!

17. olbear1962

olbear1962 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great idea, thanks for sharing. the KISS principle in action, never fails.

18. pakto

pakto Any Rag Vehicle Washer

very nice storage... i want one!! hehhe

19. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Haha, very cool!

20. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I went and wet all my pieces of clay with DI water... wasn't really worried about them drying up but never can be too safe.

For a big bar of CG clay I cut it 4 times evenly length wise and then down the middle, 8 pieces.