~~Orbital or Rotary~~

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Gatorman, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Gatorman

Gatorman Virgin Detailer

I have never used either a rotary or a random orbital and want to start using one to complete my full personal detailing. I am not a professional and do not know what to start out with but i do have a car to practice on. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. my details consist of wash, dry, clay, and wax... i want to add the polishing/ correcting step to my full detail. thank you

2. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Start off with a random orbital and then move up to a rotary when you feel you're comfortable enough. If you want a random orbital with more bite than a Porter Cable pick up the Flex 3403. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

3. Gatorman

Gatorman Virgin Detailer

that is what i have been looking into from reading alot of treads... thank alot xfactor! i have a space grey bmw do you kno what pads and polishes are good to use? thanks

4. BrendanS

In general most polishes and pads should be good. Contact Phil at Detailers Domain, he'll be able to get you going. I'd recommend looking at this
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=206
    For pads, you're somewhat limited with a Flex. But Phils Uber pads are great from what I hear.

5. Gatorman

Gatorman Virgin Detailer

6. BrendanS

I'm really sorry, I told you the wrong model. The 3403VRG is the rotary, the 3401 is the random orbital. The 3401 comes with a backing plate. I think you're only allowed to use the backing plate included. The other backing plates made won't fit.

This is the one
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=246

7. Gatorman

Gatorman Virgin Detailer

so which one is good to start out with? thanks for answering all my questions im very new to it : )

8. scot_w

scot_w Birth of a Detailer

The 3401 is the "safer" choice. If you watch the video you will see the differences between the Flex and the PC.

9. BrendanS

The 3401 is, the rotary corrects paint quicker and is more powerful, but the random orbital is a lot safer. Start with the 3401, its an awesome machine

10. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

Big fan of the 3401 here. For me, it was a great step before going to a rotary. Actually, I still reach for it first when doing correction as it's a safer choice and easier for me personally to work the paint with.

11. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

If you are only gonna do your own car I would get the PC 7424. If you want to do other cars, I would get the Flex or a rotary.

12. BrendanS

Doesn't mean he should get a PC, the Flex is better choice if hes able to put out the extra money as it corrects quicker and has a lot less vibrations. Pretty much it's the closest you'll get to a rotary without going the rotary root.

13. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

Right on xfactor!!! I agree 100%. If money is not a concern, then go 3401 all the way. Your ass will be out there all day with a PC even if you're only doing your own car.