Optium vs Poor boys swirl removers

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Faber, May 13, 2008.

1. Faber

Faber Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I was thinking of trying Poorboys SSR2.5 and SSR1 with a PC7424. what is the equivalent from Optimum? Which is easier to use and what would you recommend between these two brands?

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have not used Optimum myself, but I have always said that the SSR2.5 and SSR1 are great polishes.

The funny thing is that people used to complain about it dusting too much. Yet everyone uses SIP which dusts twice as much...

3. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

I'm the other guy...haven't used PB but use Optimum daily. I love the fact that there's NO dusting and one step cleans up the last w/o a complete wipe down between each step.

4. Faber

Okay which ones do I buy?

Hyper Compound
    Compound
    Car Polish

5. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

I use Poorboys, Optimum and Menzerna, but I always keep going back to Optimum. What I like about the Optimum is that it doesn't dust and it finishes off nicely.

6. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

Faber

Optimum Polish and Compound is all that you will need with the PC.

7. Chris@Optimum

If you're detailing for money you'll need them all. If you are just doing your car give me some pics and I'll tell you what you can get by with.

8. 02CAMSS

02CAMSS Jedi Nuba

I like the poorboys better than the optimimum I think it is easier to use and breakdown with the PC.

9. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I agree with 02CAMSS. Ive used both and PB works a lot better with the PC then Optimum.

10. Faber

I have some very minor swirls on my Honda S2000. I don't have any pictures, but it's not "swirl city" from some of the photos on here of cars detailed.

11. Chris@Optimum

do you mean they cut faster? finish better? or what cause I may be missing out. Do they dust at all, I just can't go back to that.

12. Faber

Just been doing some reading on PB and you are not suppose to mist the pads with water or detailing spray. that is what causes dust when using PB.

13. 02CAMSS

02CAMSS Jedi Nuba

I have two honda's and you do not need to get to agressive with your polish or pad choice for minor swirls because there clear is super soft.For very minor swirls I use a lake country grey or sometimes white ccs pad with poorboys ssr1 or Phil at Detailers domain turned me on to menzerna po85rd and that works great to but with a honda be sure to take your time and break down the polish(and do not use too much)because it is really easy to haze the clear on hondas with the pc if you rush or use too much polish.Just my 2 cents.

14. Faber

Thanks 02CAMSS.

I am going to order the PC7424 Swirl Buster Kit from eShine.

eShine Canada: 2. Porter Cable Swirl Buster Kit

It comes with 3 pads of my choice.

Which 3 do I need and do I need to buy any extras?

i was thinking 1 orange, 1 white and one blue.

thanks.

15. Faber

So start with white with SSR1 and if it doesn't get the swirls out, go with SSR2.5 and white?

If I just use white pad with SSR1 will it be ready for LSP? I use Zaino Z2Pro and top off with P21S.

16. 02CAMSS

02CAMSS Jedi Nuba

If those are lake country pads thats a good choice except I would sub a grey pad for the blue one.For minor swirls I would try the ssr1 with the grey pad first on speed setting 5 if that does not work I would step up to the white pad with the ssr1.The ssr2.5 and orange pad are for moderate to heavy swirls.I cannot comment on Zaino as I have never used it.Remeber take your time and break down the polish and get a good halogen light so you can see what your doing.

17. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

18. Chris@Optimum

I agree with the gray over blue, but why not start with white? I never understood trying to cut with a finishing pad.

19. 02CAMSS

02CAMSS Jedi Nuba

Sometimes on my Hondas I can knock out very minor defects with a grey pad because of the soft clear.

20. Chris@Optimum

cool, i don't do many honda's, but i'll remember that, thanks