Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Rinse less wash

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by togwt, Jan 22, 2009.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

A sound understanding of the proper technique and the correct process will produce excellent results even with a mediocre product. A quality product used without the proper surface preparation or application technique will never obtain a satisfactory result. Using the proper methodology (surface preparation, using a quality product, along with the correct application technique) will ensure an excellent result.

The writer assumes no responsibility, expressed or implied, due to misuse or misinterpretation of the information or methods used, or for any vehicle damage or injury that may occur due to the suggestions and information offered.
    Proceed with this in mind; the products you use constitute a very small factor in the equation. Methodology and technique constitute 95%; the reasoning behind the choice of quality products is to eliminate any limiting factors, thus enabling you to place emphasis on technique used.

Use as a winter car wash or in areas that have hosepipe ban, water usage restrictions, or where a water supply is not readily available (apartments, car shows, etc; cleans and protects while minimising water usage, 100% environmentally safe and it reduces water usage to a fraction of a conventional car wash, 1- oz ONR per 2- gallons of water to wash the entire car

How does ONR work?
    [The polymers in No Rinse have reactive groups that bond and trap dirt particles making the dirt particles virtually non-abrasive. They also bond to oily particles and emulsify them into water. The latter is equivalent to the cleaning action from soaps which also work by emulsifying oil particles into water. However, with soap there is no interaction with dirt. This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles.
    The No Rinse polymers also bond to all automotive surfaces and create a slick surface and act as a barrier to protect paint from marring. That is something that soap will not provide since surfactants in soaps have no affinity for painted or other automotive surfaces.
    When you use 1 oz. of No Rinse in 1 or 2 gallons of water for your wash at the molecular level this provides hundreds of billions of polymer molecules to do what was said above. Additional product will not be necessary except if you are using tap water that contains high levels of minerals such as calcium hydroxide or silicates. In these cases some of the polymers will bond to these minerals and take them out of solution therefore more product might be necessary to compensate for this effect. This is another reason why adding No Rinse to regular car wash soap improves the results when using tap water. ] [1]

An almost waterless wash that doesn’t require rinsing, it’s formulated with surfactants to keep dirt in suspension, avoiding surface contact; it also provides surface lubrication, thereby avoiding surface marring. Surfactants in the product emulsify the dirt; the polymer protects the paint surface by forming a molecular bond, which remains even after the wash, offering protection comparable to that of a spray wax

ONR is an ionic wash that contains zwitterions (hybrid) [: a chemical compound that carries a total net charge of 0, thus electrically neutral but carries formal positive and negative charges on different atom] [2] This allows the polymers to attach to the dirt and form a molecular bond to te surface at the same time. ONR binds the dirt to the wash media intentionally; so you should change washing media as needed

The No Rinse polymers also bond to automotive paint surfaces and create a slick surface and act as a barrier to protect from marring. That is something that soap will not provide since surfactants in soaps have no affinity for painted surfaces (unlike a polymer).

ONR Wash Methodology
    •Optional Pre-Soak - Spray down individual panels with a 6oz / gallon solution with a garden type pump spray, then wipe-down each panel with a wet micro fibre towel
    •Use a Monster Fluffy micro fibre towel for washing.
    •Take one towel and wet it with ONR mixed as per directions (1- oz / 2- gallons of water)
    •Wring it out and make a single pass per clean side of the towel.
    •You can get 4-8 passes, with the towel folded in quarters. Each pass is then done with a perfectly clean towel surface and you're never rinsing any dirt out and releasing it in to your wash or rinse water. You can do the whole car with 2-4 towels.
    •Apply no pressure to the towel. I just glide it over the surface and only make one pass in one direction with a clean surface.
    •If you use the two bucket method (one fitted with a grit guard) which highly recommended with this type of product, the wash solution will stay clean enough to be reusable as a pre-soak solution or for cleaning wheel surfaces.
    •ONR is formulated to ensure that dirt particles won’t mix with the solution but fall to the bottom of the bucket.

There in no need to rinse afterwards with ONR, but if you feel you must, please ensure that the water goes to a sewer and not a storm drain; either way the lubricating polymers in the No Rinse do a better job of protecting the finish than conventional car soap.
    Use in tandem with Optimum Spray Wax for a ‘just waxed’ look If you use the two bucket method (one fitted with a grit guard) the wash solution will stay clean enough to be reusable. ONR is formulated to ensure that dirt particles won’t mix with the solution but fall to the bottom of the bucket.

The key to using ONR is to make sure your panel is thoroughly washed. This doesn't mean that you have to saturate your mitt and/or panel with the ONR but rather go over that panel 2 or 3 times if needed. When you wipe dry there should be no remaining dirt on the panel. If need be use several mitts, discarding a mitt as it becomes visually dirty. When finished there should be little or no water on the ground.

Other Uses

Dilutions as per label;
    1.Car wash solution - 1oz / 2 gallons
    2.Detailer’s clay lubrication - 2oz / gallon (1:64)
    3.Quick detailer (QD) - 6oz / gallon (1:22)
    4.Wet-sanding lubrication – dilution as above

1 & 2 Mix a solution with the dilutions (ratios) suggested utilizing distilled water in a 16oz spray bottle (128 oz = 1 Gallon)

Engine Cleaning

•Mix up some ONR (QD strength) in a garden pest pump spray; you’ll need a few small brushes and old terry cloth towels.
    •Use a pre-cleaner solution, 10:1 distilled hot water/ P21S Total Auto Wash
    •Spray the engine and let the solution dwell for a few minutes.
    •Agitate with brushes to loosen road dirt, oil and grime as needed.
    •Re-spray with ONR solution, then wipe dry.
    •Start engine and let it run until completely dry.
    •Use CD-2 for all hoses etc.

Note
    Do not direct spray to any sensitive electrical components (see “Engine Bay Detailing” article for details)

Products
    a)Monster Fluffy towel - http://www.detailersparadise.com/_sy...qryDefault.asp
    Optimum No Rinse (ONR) – Optimum Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Information resource –

1 Optimum Research & Development - Dr.G
    2 Wikipedia encyclopaedia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    3 Automotive Detailing Inside & Out; A Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist– by Jon Miller

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved​

This is one of is one of a series of unbiased and informative, knowledge based, subject specific articles, which are dedicated to the automotive detailing enthusiast or professional detailer in search of development and further education

Copyright Protection and intellectual property rights-© This work is registered with the UK Copyright Service All original material is copyright, unless otherwise stated, and may be copied and distributed for non-commercial purposes only provided that you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the original material and a reference to © TOGWT ™ is included, any unauthorized use of these materials may violate copyrights and/or trademarks

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Fantastic information, but I still can't bring myself to use the new bottle of ONR that I bought 3 months ago!! LOL

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

You should definitely try it out Ken! :)

4. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

+1 I was very skeptical myself at first.

5. trl2112

trl2112 Two Bucket System Washer

Go on try it. :poke:

6. E-Money

E-Money Birth of a Detailer

Im sure someone has a handy formula for this ONR Dilution. A touch up for a spray bottle (32 oz) of ONR used for bird droppings or cleaning a dirty area behind a wheel well. Should i make a full solution with 2 gallons of water?:crasy:

7. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I like this stuff but I still much prefer a water wash, especially on wheels.

8. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Great info! A good read.

9. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

well it seems more and people are being "persuaded" to use no rinse or waterless wash solutions. i myself like the feeling of a freshly washed auto, i have used a no rinse type solution and found it worked very well. still feels like something is missing with out water, but i think in the near future we might not have a choice. i feel my standards are way to high and sometimes need to step back and realize that sometimes i have to adjust my ways and learn a new process. i am still looking for a solution that will clean wheels and wheel wells to my satisfaction, so if anyone has something "different" that they do using a no rinse type solution please post it up.

10. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree, for me the ONR is great due to freezing temperature here in Canada but I just don't feel satisfied when I'm done...:shrug: it gets the job done though so I'll continue to use it.

As for the wheels and wheel wells, I agree that's an area that ONR alone wont do as well as old plain water...but steam sure comes close to it. I'm quite pleased with the performance on steam on tires, rims and wheel wells...combined with ONR that is, it really depends on how dirty the wheel wells, tires and rims are...but since we are crrently in winter ONR by it's self wont do a good job but with the steamer and ONR I find it very satifying. Just my :2cents:

11. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Quick question, when I use ONR on the cars that are mildly dirty even my MF Drying towels still get dirty. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I hate dirty drying towels. Any suggestions? This is my process:
    -Wash one panel
    -Move to another panel
    -Wash
    -Dry first panel, than second
    -Repeat

Any hints would be great

12. Hostage1978

Hostage1978 Guest

xfactor78- a wash mit should be taking up all the dirt, nothing should be left for your MF to deal with...just the water.

2-bucket method w/ Grit Guards
    noodle wash mit
    2 ultra plush MF (they really eat up water)

I go around the whole vehicle with a watering can to give any tough areas some water to loosen up. I then start with the entire roof, and move my way down to windows. Second, I go all the way around establishing a belt line (about half way), getting the front of the vehicle first (usually less dirty up front). I then move from the cleanest sections of the vehicle to the dirties sections. This process has kept my truck looking new all winter long:D

13. dervdave

dervdave Virgin Detailer

You cannot be rinsing your wash mitt or grout sponge thoroughly, use a bucket of clean water if need be.

14. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

I use the two bucket method with grit guards in both. My grout sponge always comes out clean. I think the problem may be that I need to change the rinse bucket water more often. I usually just use the one throughout the whole wash. Thanks for the tip.
    Thanks for the advice Hostage. Like I said I'll give the rinse bucket a change more often.

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Dilutions as per label;
    1.Car wash solution - 1oz / 2 gallons
    2.Detailer’s clay lubrication - 2oz / gallon (1:64)
    3.Quick detailer (QD) - 6oz / gallon (1:22)
    4.Wet-sanding lubrication – dilution as above

1 & 2 Mix a solution with the dilutions (ratios) suggested utilizing distilled water in a 16oz spray bottle (128 oz = 1 Gallon)