Optima Steamer

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by godoman, Apr 23, 2010.

1. godoman

godoman Jedi Nuba

hey all,

sorry, all done.

godoman

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

damn that thing sounds like it has some serious ass pressure behind it. Looks to be like a pretty good unit.

3. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

wow looks great, how much did that cost you?

4. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

forgot to ask...which steamer is this?

5. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

wow $4800? that's a ton. I'm not sure i would personally steam a exterior. I still feel like it might marr the surface but it will only be a matter of time until you try for yourself and see the results first hand.

Looks neat though.

6. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

well marring wouldn't come from the steam itself marring would come from any dirt particals that might still be left on the paint when you go to wipe it.

You would almost have to steam from the top down assuring that all the dirt is off the paint before wiping. You wouldn't be able to steam say the hood for example real quick and wipe it because chances are there will still be some dirty water left on the hood thus causing marring when you go to wipe it up. Sorry if it sounds confusing.

7. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

the vx5000 is pretty fun to use. now I want to upgrade to your steamer.

8. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I hope all goes well for you in this business venture. Please post up some videos on how well it works.

9. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Looks good for a detail. For maintenance, looks like it would remove most wax or sealant.

10. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

Congrats on the purchase or the upgrade. That looks like a mean machine. I too like to know your thoughts on the machine.

Taking the steps to be as environmentally conscious and safe is great on your part. Nobody said saving the planet was going to be cheap!!

Good luck with the demo at the dealership. Hopefully that helps open some doors for your new venture.

11. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I think the concept is really awesome, but there is NO way that guy isn't inflicting damage on that car by that method, and by using the same rag on the whole car. Now what would be impressive is if you could mix some ONR in that bad boy

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Tell that boy with the steamer and his filthy MF to stay far away from my black truck. I'd love to see the marring on that Jeep after he's done with it. Terrible.

13. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

now THAT would be something!

I think it would make an awesome machine for engine bays and interiors, though!

14. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

+1. Looks like a badass steamer though.

15. richy

richy Guest

I agree with you guys. I own a steamer and I love it but it has its limitations. No way you're not going to inflict damage to a dirty car doing that...no way. ONR is a good way to carry away the dirt without damage. The steam...not the way it looks in the videos. Be very careful using it. I know you have invested a ton. Make sure you can be 100% confident using it before showing anyone. Good Luck to you...prove me wrong, I won't be offended. The idea of a clean, green method is admirable...I just don't believe this is it.

16. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Steam is a pretty largely debatable way to clean paint. I have heard of solutions from 7carwash in Korea, Optima is pretty well known in the business as well. I honestly don't understand how one can wipe with a towel and not scratch the paint .

The thermal stress is another topic, is it good for paint to be exposed to high temperatures? Sure the paint doesn't feel hot afterwards but unlike heat sources like the sun, the steam is instant and some people argue that the rapid temperature change isn't great for the paint.

17. bige441

bige441 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I am really curious as to how a wax or a sealant will stand up to that.

18. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

Is it possible for a picture of your new toy?

19. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

It all depends on your demographics. What are the house prices like? What is the minimum wage? What is the Avg. Family Income in your area?

When you take these into consideration then you will have an idea. Spending $125 in your area is different from spending $125 where I live so people will react differently.

If your competition (other detail shops) are charging $100 for an engine clean then you would be somewhat in the market if you charged $125. But if your competition charges $40 for an engine clean you would be priced out of the market.

Glad to hear the Optima Steamer is working out for you. Keep us posted.

How long is it going to take you to break-even with that unit?

20. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

have you calculate how much ele/diesel to wash exterior/interior/engine bay of a 4 door sedan?