Opti-Lens Release Date

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by SoCal Garage, Jan 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

What's latest on the release date of Opti-Lens? Thank you.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Awesome. How does this apply like a wax or a aerosol spray?

What is the said durability?

3. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

I did a VW Jetta headlights at the beginning of January. I just coated them with Opti-Seal until this is available. When I contacted Optimum about Opti-lens, they were expecting a release date of mid/end January and lifetime durability. I'm not sure how they came up with "lifetime" but if I can safely promise a minimum 2 years to a customer I'll be happy.

4. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

We're just waiting on the labels.

Opti Coat Pro has an available "lifetime" warranty, that may be what you're thinking of.

Opti Lens will have a consumer version and a pro version. They will both be permanent (ie there until you polish it off abrasively).

5. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I'm really excited about this product. I haven't touched my headlights because I have been waiting for this product. I promise to post a review thread for this one!!

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

How will this differ from Opti Coat Chris?

7. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Very cool.

8. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

Yes, thanks for the correction.

9. Chris@Optimum

Opti Coat doesn't contain high levels of UV protection, because all it has to do is prevent the loss of UV protection that's found in paint.

Polycarbonate has no internal UV protection and is fully dependent on the protective coating applied when new. The original coating will last a couple of years, but with exposure to UV, cleaners, etc it fades in protection until completely gone.

Opti Lens is a hybrid coating combining silicon carbide and acrylic to address the issues we see with plastics. Opti Coat would certainly prevent oxidation and form a hydrophobic surface, but the addition of acrylic for light transmission and flexibility along with increased UV inhibitors make a substrate specific coating that outperforms any other compound used on plastics.

10. JsDtell

JsDtell Any Rag Vehicle Washer

is there going to be a difference in durability w the opti lens vs the opti lens pro or are the warranties the same as the OC and OCPro

11. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I think this is the first product I'm actually excited about and am waiting for...not just from Optimum, all products included Can't wait for this to be available in Canada.

12. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

Looking forward to this.

I've always had film on my headlights. When they start going iffy, I just replace the film.....
    The plastic under is always good and no *need* to polish and remove the UV coating..

13. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

I started covering all our vehicles headlights in clear film protection in 2009, but we have an older daily driver about to sold/traded-in that I used Plexus on and the lens went to hell, crazing and just terrible looking around the perimeter of the lens which is a separate, but molded piece of the lens. Going to give Opti-Lens a try on these after taking them out of the car and sanding/prepping them. I will say that clear film protection saves you an immense amount of grieve on many fronts.

14. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Chris, can you comment on whether this product contains enough UV inhibitors to act as a replacement UV coating when doing headlight restorations? The kind where you completely sand off the OEM coating?

15. Chris@Optimum

Yes it does. That is the major difference between Opti Coat and Opti Lens. We also added acrylic for increased flexibility since headlights are continually bouncing back and forth regarding temps.

16. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

What happens when you put this on your lenses and some of it gets on the paint?

17. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Oh, so you're one of those guys!

18. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

lol...

19. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Any updates Chris? I'm dying to use this product!!

20. Chris@Optimum

It won't harm paint. It actually works on paint too although it may haze a little easier thar Opti Coat on paint. It manageable though.

Their telling me this month for sure, but I don't know what the holdup is at this point. Heck I could have crayoned out new labels by now.