Opti coat faulty syringe?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by minorc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. minorc

minorc Two Bucket System Washer

Just spend two and a half days prepping my car for opti coat, and go grab the opti coat to start putting it on, and the syringe plunger is loose and leaked all the product into the bag! What gives! The cap is very tight!

Is this normal? Spent all this time polishing and getting my car ready and now I have to dip the foam into the ziplock bag for product!

Not impressed

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

The have a new smaller plunger that is too small in my opinion. Talking to another gent. He bought 16 and 11 leaked. Not good and a bad switch for optimum

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

3. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I've heard of it happening.

Reach out to the distributor or OPT and they will send a replacement.

4. minorc

I'll call eshine tomorrow and hope they'll help me out.

5. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I had the same thing happen to me. Dealt directly with Chris at eShine. Chris at Optimum said he acknowledges the problem and that offered to remedy the situation. It's been a very common occurrence recently.

6. Luis D. Aviles

Luis D. Aviles Virgin Detailer

If in the bag not all is lost, well if the sponge is soaked than yeah you will be applying too much. Note to self keep an eye on my syringes. I hope your situation is unique. Good luck with the rest of your detail. I know it's a pain to get it ready and than have to wait some more.

7. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

this has happened and this will be 100% covered by Optimum as well as the authorized vendor that you bought it from.

8. durabio

durabio Birth of a Detailer

Thanks again Phil. It happened to one that I bought and made a mess, but the email to Phil was clean and quick (Phil runs on batteries not sleep) with an replacement a few days later.

9. picus

picus Virgin Detailer

Glad to hear this is fixed! I think I was the fella Byran mentioned, had almost a dozen empty tubes :x My shoes were beading water for weeks. I feel terrible for the distributors... I can imagine the e-mails!

10. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Happened to me this past Saturday. Will receive a replacement.

11. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I have talked about this with Chris at Optimum, they have a couple of syringes that are defective and the product leaks out of the Big end where the Plunger inserts. I had 2 shipments come in - one leaking out badly, and the other and all leaked out.
    If you suspect you have one of these, make sure you store the plunger with the Small tip Down, so the material is not near the Big (leaking) end. and that will help somewhat, until you can get a hold of the Supplier.

Optimum has been good about standing behind this problem with replacement through the Distributor you bought the product from originally.

I know, its been a pain the A$$, sorry it had to happen to you guys too..
    Dan F

12. minorc

Emailed Eshine on thursday, no reply as of yet.
    Re-emailed this afternoon.

I ended up trying to use the product by dipping it into the bag, messy, spilled a bunch only had enough to do major panels of my car. Overall pretty unhappy, especially when I had to borrow a garage to do the job which I don't have access to now, and take time off work to do it.

13. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

If you want fast replies from eShine, your best bet is to call them. I spoke with Chris directly and we worked out an arrangement. New items should have shipped out same day. They have great service, you just need to talk directly with them, emails always take longer.

14. picus

picus Virgin Detailer

Ya that stinks, I'd be bummed too. As Joey mentioned definitely give them a call or e-mail Chris directly. I am sure they were overwhelmed a bit by it but I am also sure they'll take care of you.

15. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

It was a very brief inventory that has this potential to fail...and like others have said, replacements will be promptly issued for those who experience loss. What to look for: our current and original syringes have graduation marks at every 5 ml/cc. The ones that may fail have lines at every 1 ml/cc and the syringes plasticizer process has also tinted the coating a bit yellow. It does not affect the performance, but you will notice the difference if you have bought OC before. As a precaution, I would advise you all to check your syringe for the marks and tint. If you have the one listed, just store it tip down/plunger up in a glass or other container that will keep it vertical. If you see fluid passing the plunger as you try to dispense it, stop and call your supplier. If you just need a new empty syringe to transfer it into, email me at chris@optimumforums.org.

16. minorc

View attachment 5275

Here's a picture.

If I push the plunger forward, there's a gap on the opposite side. Also if I shake the syringe the plunger is really loose

Attached Files:

17. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

Those syringes would allow the plastic that connected to the plunger to spin/rotate but that's not a flaw...the actual rubber part on some will let the product pass by it like it's too small. If any more of you guys have the syringe he's posted pics of with marks for every cc and are concerned, just contact me and I will send a new empty syringe to transfer your product into. In the meantime store it tip down vertically just to be safe. The original and current syringes only have marks every 5 cc.

18. minorc

Update.

Chris from eshine offered me a replacement when he next shipment arrives. Good customer service, I'll know next time to call and not email.

19. eShine

eShine DB Pro Supporter

I get 100's of emails a day and unfortunately also 100's of spam emails a day! Sometimes I miss emails, if I don't get back within a day something is wrong. We just has a company come in here and look over our PC's and network and we have a whole new system coming in with new PC's, our own server MS Exchange server and other bells/whistles. We are hoping to have a much better communication system here and not lose any emails. Also just an update I ordered the new Opti-Coat and they were backordered with an ETA of 1 week, then a few days to get to us.

20. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

Try using a small pair of pliers and a little force to screw the cap back into the syringe and you won't have leaking problems.