Opti-Coat AND Clear Bra?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Stealth4, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Stealth4

Stealth4 New Member

So I know the Opti-Coat goes on the paint, not on the clear-bra, with that out of the way, I would appreciate input on the following:

I purchased a new car (VW Golf TDI 6MT Blue Graphite Metallic) and I plan to put Opti-Coat 2 on the entire painted surface. I am also leaning toward having a clear bra installed on the front as I drive a lot on the highway.

Option 1: Should I put Opti-Coat on the entire car, then have the clear-bra added? In this case would the clear bra interfere with the Opti-Coat curing underneath if the clear bra was added soon after the Opti-Coat?

Option 2: Should I not put Opti-Coat on the paint in the clear bra location? In this case I would probably have the clear-bra added then put the Opti-Coat on.

Option 3: Any reason why I shouldn't get a clear film on the front? Any input on clear film appreciated. It is hard to find people who do that type of work.

2. JordanL

JordanL Virgin Detailer

I believe you can apply a clear bra above Opti coat, but you want to let opti coat fully cure before having a clear bra applied. And in my opinion id definitely get a clear bra applied because if I purchased a new car I would definitely want to protect my investment from rock chips etc because once they happen you can't undo it. I would personally suggest going will a well known brand that offers a warranty such as Xpel, 3M etc. If you go to their websites usually they have a list of installers that may be near you.

3. acommonsoul

acommonsoul New Member

I know with 22ple...which is a little similar to opticoat except its more of a glass coating, they recommend putting the clear bra on first and then applying the coating on top of the clear bra.

eacmonroe likes this.
  4. PMNewton

PMNewton New Member

You absolutely do not want to put clear bra on top of a coating like GTechniq, Opti-Coat, 22PLE, CQuartz, etc. I saw a video of XPEL Ultimate clear film refusing to stick to CQuartz finest. Not only is it a waste of coating but you are severely impacting the adhesion of the clear film. On the other hand, you can apply coatings to the top of the clear bra. It isn't really necessary but there's no reason not to.

- Patrick