1. onebaucom

onebaucom Birth of a Detailer

So i'm getting my own pc (7424xp) probably at the end of this year. Yes, it's a long time away to be asking but oh well. I need to know opinions on what polishes are best. I have used Adam's and like them a lot, but wonder if Menzerna or Megs is best for the polishes? Any suggestions for the complete lineup? Thanks in advance!

P.s. I know this has been told so many times about which polishes are best so my apologies for betting a dead horse. I just want my own thread lol. ;)

2. GTIDamien_407

GTIDamien_407 Birth of a Detailer

3. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

onebaucom, what are you working on?

4. onebaucom

2004 jeep liberty...my own personal vehicle for now.
    my neighbors have already asked me to eventually work on their vehicles as well.
    none of them are fancy, but some are in bad condition.

5. Carbon

Carbon DB Forum Supporter

I think Menzerna has the better polishes, think Meguiars has a better compound and I think Adams is user friendly with less guess work and good enough for the occasional detail.

6. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

7. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

IMHO I have only four polishes

M105
    SIP
    203S
    85RD

The first is meguiars
    The next three are menzerna

Although I have been hearing good things about wolfs polishes.

8. onebaucom

Thanks for the replies so far! So I actually tried out the Adams polishing line on my vehicle (the first one I corrected with Adams was my mom's car and it turned out great) on part of the hood and it seemed to have no effect on the swirl marks whatsoever. I clayed the section I was working on, started out with SHR, saw it was not doing anything and moved to SSR. Even after SSR, I still saw no effect on any of it. Any thoughts on why? Oh and replies to the original question of which polishes should I go with are helpful too! =]

9. rwisejr

Your problem sounds like technique and not the polishes. I have and use those and Menzerna polishes and achive great results withe either. How big of an area are you polishing ?

10. onebaucom

I did a 2 by 2 sections. I completed about a fourth of the hood and saw no change so stopped and put a coat of wax on the whole jeep. I did my mom's car using the same technique and could really tell the difference, so I don't know what's happening. Maybe my jeep is special lol. Just kidding.

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

could be the clear is much harder then you anticipated.......... my black suburban, i can polish with a orange pad and powergloss and it needs 2-3 passes to do any type of correction.

12. rwisejr

What size and brand pads are you using ? You should also always do a test spot to dial in the correct process for what you are working on. That jeep if I remember should have a hard clear .

13. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I had similar issues when I started. I was afraid to press too hard for fear of burning the paint. You need to apply about 15 lbs of pressure and break the polish down until it clears. I have used a lot of polishes and the Menzerna polishes are easy to use and work for me. I have used them first on a PC and now on a flex da

14. onebaucom

At first I used orange pad with shr, saw that wasn't doing anything so i moved to green pads with ssr. All Adams products for this little bit of correction and four inch pads were used because I've read that six and half inches is less effective. Yeah, I was thinking it was a hard clear so maybe that's why i am having problems. It could be my technique since I am a beginner. Not denying that lol.

15. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I have been using the Meguiars microfiber cutting pad a lot, I would look into that and then some polishing and finishing pads. For polishes I like Meguiars M105 and D300, High Definition UNO, Menzerna p203, 106fa and 85rd

16. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

The cool thing about the Prima line of polishes is you don't need any other pressure but the weight of your polisher. Super simple polishes to use.

17. apadilha-pe

apadilha-pe Virgin Detailer

Megs (#105) polishers need any pressure?

18. ericeng2

ericeng2 Two Bucket System Washer

paints could be harder or softer depending on the car. Are you working on it until the polish breaks down fully?

19. onebaucom

Yes, I am working it in until it flashes like in the Adam's videos. Prima line huh? I'll have to check those out as well!

20. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

M105 need as much pressure as required to remove the defects on the paint, some paints and defects will require a lot of pressure others will need less pressure. Prima Swirl and Finish are great I was not impressed with Cut