1. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Hey guys, im gonna ONR my truck this weekend and need some last minute advice.. I was going to go down to home depot and pick up another gallon pump sprayer to put some ONR in for a presoak to loosen all the grit on my truck.. What dilution ratio would be best for this? I plan on using 1 oz of ONR for every 2 gallons of water, per the directions...but i hear some people have been using 1 oz per gallon...what have you found that works best for you? As always, thanks in advance

2. Bigpikle

Bigpikle Any Rag Vehicle Washer

there seem to be 2 options here:

1. is simply to mix it at QD strength - 6oz per gallon IIRC

or

2. mix it at standard wash solution strength

I have only used the QD option so far, but at the cost it is in the Uk I plan to go to wash solution mix in future, except for particularly dirty vehicles ;)

I have always been using 1oz per gallon, but experienced users say it doesnt add anything, so will also move to the factory suggested 1oz per 2 gallons in future...

3. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

Yeah, I have noticed that adding more ONR than Optimum suggests to the bucket doesn't really increase it's effectiveness, which is sorta surprising.

4. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

I recommend 1oz per 2 gallons for the wash and wash strength for the pre-soak as well. If you have mud, hose it off first, but no matter how dirty the car is that ratio is good enough. If the water gets super dirty, just make another batch to finish up. I also recommend using 2-3 mitts. If you were to marr with ONR, it would be because your solution got too contaminated for the emulsification process to handle or your mitt wasn't rinsing clean enuff.

5. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

I confess that I have been using 1 oz per gallon--perhaps out of paranoic fear. Yet in contradiction to that fear, I have NOT been using two buckets the past two washings. I have justified not using two buckets because my car really has not been too dirty. Go figure my illogic. ;)

LOL.

Al

6. Bunky

Bunky Guest

It may not be more effective (cleaning) but it should reduce the chance of marring..otherwise it would not be mixed differently for QD strength or clay lube.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I usually just stick to the 1 oz per 2 gallons. It works great for me.

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

DP 4-in-1 recommended dillution ratio is 1 oz per gallon of water. ONR is 1 oz per 2 gallons of water, which makes it twice as economical.

9. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

The more I reviews I read on ONR the more intrigued I become with it. Going to have to give it a try.

10. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

It really is a good addition to anyones arsenal. I consider it a life saver for winter detailing because you can wash in the garage. Its also great for maintaining your own car because generally our cars stay well protected and dont get very dirty so a 20minutes ONR wash is a good time saver as well.

I give it the :thumb:

11. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I just got a 32oz size to try it out.

12. Hostage1978

Hostage1978 Guest

I picked up some ONR 6 months ago to try it out during the fall/winter months. I bought a black Toyota Tundra in November, and have been obsessing over it ever since.

I mixed up 3 Gal (ratios as per manufacturer suggestions) and went one panel at a time. I did 3 Gal because of the size of the truck.

I am furious with myself for not using this product before. My worries were for nothing! The product works better than I could have imagined.

Go onto Youtube and check out the instructional videos that people have put up.

YouTube - Washing a Cayenne with ONR

I went out to my truck the next morning, had plenty of direct sunlight on it, and i saw no fine scratches or marring. This will most likely replace most of my washing duties on the truck unless it gets really nasty.

13. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I think I chimed in on other ONR discussions, but now that I have some time (wife's at work and kids are sleeping), I thought I would dig up some of my ONR pics from last winter. I was doing my '04 Audi allroad which was pretty dirty. Here's one with the type of mitt I use:

[​IMG]

I got them last year at CostCo. They were 3 for $6 or something like that and came with a huge MF towel I use for wiping down door jams and such. I ended up with like 15 of them or something. They do a fine job of trapping dirt and pulling it away from the surface. Haven't noticed an negative effects thus far.

Here's a couple of in progress shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of weeks ago my friend who has a red Caddy CTS came over and I showed him how to do it, and if he can, anyone can do this. He was by today and made sure to point out how clean his car is with some of the single digit temps we had the past few days. The best thing about ONR is washing your car outside or in the garage with the door open and people driving by thinking you are absolutely fringgin' nuts out there washing your car. I like to keep the neighbors thinking that I'm a couple beers short of a 6 pack!!! :crasy:

14. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Just a quick question, with using the ONR, can you dry the car with a leaf blower still or do you have to use a MF towel?

15. DJ_JonnyV

I stick with a MF WW towel or two. The premise of ONR is doing a panel or section at a time, so you wipe down a door with mitt and ONR solution, and then wipe dry with towel. If you used a leaf blower, I would think you would have to do the entire car first with ONR and mitt and then go back to blow all the water off. Not quite sure how this would work. Now, for doing your wheels, I think a leaf blower would be fair game.

16. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Using a leaf blower would just add an extra step... why would you want to do that with an ONR wash? :shead:

17. BrendanS

I would rather use a leaf blower because it gets into the cracks and dries better than any of my poor quality MFs can. Until I invest in some quality towels I'd rather blow dry as much as I can. I guess I'll use the MFs then and go panel by panel. One more question, would a sheepskin washmitt be just as fine as using a towel?

18. Denzil

Denzil Guest

For washing? Yeah, you can use a sheepskin wash mitt.

19. DJ_JonnyV

As for buying some higher-end MF WW towels, you really only need 2 at most for a normal size car. Sometimes you can get away with one, but I usually like to have 2 on hand. Try to look out for one of Juztang's (Obsessive Detail) or Phil's (Detailer's Domain) MF sales and buy a few. As long as you take good care of them, they'll last you a while. Some of my original ones from Phil are well over a year old and have seen their fair share of sheetmetal.

20. BrendanS

Thanks I'll keep a look out for those.