ok, does EVERYONE use the 2 bucket method?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

as the title states, what are your thougths on it?

I personally don't like it.

1 bucket, one dedicated mitt for exposed paint areas only, one mitt at the end for under the edges and the wheel well lips around the wheels.

no issues for me: whats the pro opinion on this necessary?

2. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

:D I use a 2 bucket system.

I am not sure if it helps but it makes me feel safer.
    ONRing I use two buckets, one with just water and usually I use just an ice cream bucket. Seems to make the ONR solution come out cleaner.

3. advanced detail

advanced detail Two Bucket System Washer

I use the two bucket system too. I never did before and I went through alot of soap,now the soap just seems to stay cleaner longer.Same for ONR.

4. 2-Bucket for me!

5. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

My foam gun is my soap bucket, and I use a plain water rinse bucket with a grit guard. Been using a sheep skin and a LC ulti-mit.

after doing it like this for a little more then a year, my car has only very very fine swirls here and there, and I only I can really spot them.

The car is silver though...

6. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I used to use one bucket method back in the day before I found the right way to detail, and that one bucket would always look filthy after washing just one panel... I use the 2 bucket method all the time :)

Oh yeah just to add, I use a microfiber or sheepskin mitt along with my Shmitt, so I can get under the spoiler and under the door handles (Shmitt's too thick for that :p)

7. Dandrop

Dandrop Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hehe, I use 2 buckets and 2 mitts method.

1 bucket for soap, 1 bucket for rinsing the mitts.
    1 mitt for upper (usually cleaner panels) and 1 mitt for the lower panels (usually muddier and dirtier).

8. Nica

Nica Banned

I would have to agree, ever since I was introduced to the true meaning of detailing two bucket methos with grit guard it is and I've also done Dandrop's methos as well...but not all the time.

I sure have noticed the difference with the two bucket system just my :2cents: though

9. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

pics would be nice! this is one of those things you dont get to see the results after a year.

10. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I use a pseudo 2 bucket method.

I have one bucket and sponge/mitt that I use for wheels, tires, and wheel wells.

Then my other bucket and mitt is for paint, top to bottom.

11. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

As soon as the weather gets a little nice, I'm going to be doing a full detail. Ill try my hardest to get good before shots, but like I said they are hard to spot. I wonder how much more noticeable they would be on a dark color...

I like using the foam gun as I wash instead of a soap water bucket, because I can always keep a fresh layer of soapy water on the section I am washing. To me, this does a better job then a soapy water bucket to just load the mitt. I do use more soap then most though, but that doesnt bother me. And my rinse bucket with grit guard always had a good bit of silt/grime in the bottom.

I'm going to try a MF chennelle (dreadlock) mitt, and see if maybe that works any better.

12. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

I use the tbm if doing say a maintenance wash or top up but if doing correction work I dont. I see so many people doing the tbm even if they are planning on machining the vehicle afterwards. Just a waste of time imo

13. 2KLS1

2KLS1 Birth of a Detailer

Yup, two buckets here also. It keeps my soapy solution nice and clean.

14. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

yeah i see if the soap gets dirty, but my soap looks as clean after as before.

but my definition of "dirty" on my car is driven for 2-3 days in no rain...and if it rains you better believe its pressure washed and foamed like mad for an hour then washed, blown off, pulled inside, and WW'd off with adam's detail spray.

15. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

1 bucket here... I rinse, foam... have soap in the grit guard bucket, and i cut my ulti-mitt in half, just the red side... releases dirt quite well

16. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

agreed.

17. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

I guess it depends how dirty the surface is and how bad the defects are. If the paint is going to get a extreme polish, I ususually just do a QEW wash before clay/polish.

Just about every vehicle that gets a extreme polish will get foamed down and a 2 bucket wash after. I really don't want to take any chances with a 10 hour polishing job.

Since we are under stage 4 water restrictions here, I am usually washing with QEW on our cars.

Here is how I like to wash our cars:
    Foam w/ lance and let dwell while I do the wheels, tires and wells.
    Rinse paint, wells, wheels and tires.
    Refoam and use 2 bucket method to wash.

Right now the wifes BMW is very dirty, mud in the wells from construction in the area. It will not get washed till I can do it "right."

18. Truls

Truls Two Bucket System Washer

Using GritGuard....works great

19. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

2 buckets, all the time. Even before full correction jobs, it just doesn't feel right to me with just one bucket.

20. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

im with you onthis jayplay