Oh! THis should be fun tonight ..

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by kdude, Feb 9, 2011.

1. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Going to try and take dye left off the drivers leather / blondish leather seats tonight ... Car is a Saab ..

will prob. get sued if i make it worse .. :chillpill:

[​IMG]

2. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

LOL! You don't trust me? :p

3. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

Leatherique or leather masters strong. If you don't have those Woolite 20:1 or APC 20:1 will take right off. Leatherique works the best IMO

4. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

sometimes magic erasers work well, but you have to be extremely careful/gentle as the eraser is actually abrasive and can end up removing the leathers color,

5. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Please do not use a magic sponge on this. Dye transer can be very difficult to remove and is a process.

Dye Transfer is the dyestuff transferred to leather from clothing or newsprint. It is more usually seen on light coloured, protected, leathers but it can occur on any leather, though not as noticeably.

As the title explains the dyes that are leached from jeans, clothing, newspapers etc. 'recolour' the leather. The longer or more aggressive the dyes are the harder it will be to remove as it will have moved further and deeper into the leather finish.

Dye transfer is not dirt and is not damaging to the leather finish, as dirt is, but it can look very unsightly and give the appearance of being very dirty.

Each case of dye transfer is different as each finish type on the leather will vary slightly as will the dyes from whatever has caused the problem.

If treated quickly enough any good quality leather cleaner should remove the offending dye as it will still be on the surface of the leather. If a leather protector has been used this will also help as the dye will be held on the surface for longer and be cleaned easier.

Once the dyes have moved into the finish they will become more and more difficult to remove. No 'one' product can guarantee to remove the dye in these circumstances without damaging the finish.

Cleaning aggressively should be avoided as this may lead to damage of the finish as will the use of such things as Magic Sponges. Scrubbing at the leather will not help and may damage the finish which would then need replacing.

If cleaning has not resolved the problem and dye remains it is recommended that you use a Jean & Dye Transfer Remover Kit which contains 2 further, specifically formulated products that can be safely tried without damaging the finish on the leather. If this cleaning process does not resolve the problem it is not because the products do not work but simply because the dye is very aggressive and has penetrated too deep into the finish for 'cleaning' processes to work. It will then be necessary to recolour/refinish the leather to completely resolve the problem.

Owners of pale and off-white leathers are recommended to adopt a gentle regular cleaning and protecting regime which will help inhibit this problem.

Hope this helps
    Any questions just ask

6. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

I want to cry ....

7. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Judy you were spot on... nothing worked. Where can i order remover kit ?

8. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

What products did you try?

9. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

10. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Actually i sub'ed the work out to a fellow interior detailer.

The boys worked on the leather for a good two hours... I don't know which products they tried however about a hour into it the LEATHERIQUE was not even approaching a solution to the dye. I brought over some Opt power clean cut 50:50 and it did nada , zip ... the products all failed.

Aside from the absolute failure to take the dye off the leather i'm still with hope. I'm going to contact the boy"s at Dupray Ind. and ask for a demo cleaning on the seats.. If if deep steam will lift the dye from the fabric ...

then there is plan B : :)

11. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Yikes man. Is there even dye transfer on the center console? It might just be the lighting in the pic.

12. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I have had success with Einzett Deep Plastic Cleaner on some stubborn spots on leather ; of course everything you try - need to find a test spot first to make sure its not going to take too much of the pigment out if any.
    I have also successfully steamed out white paint on leather seats and leather steering wheel covers before.
    Again, be really careful; I always try to use a steam attachment brush that I cover with a clean white towel, so I can watch the towel and see if I am getting the stuff off and not hurting the leather.
    Again, work carefully, etc..

What did the guys use try to remove the stains, that didnt work ?

I know for example on carpets, they sell a special red dye remover chemical,, that I imagine has something in it to loosen the dye and somehow bleach it out of the carpet but not change the color of the carpet..

Good Luck with this, sorry you have the fun job of making it all better. :)

Dan F

13. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Yes there is dye on the center console , and passenger side which is similar...

14. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

@ Dan .. thanks for the tips especially the towel over the steamer...