Odor Eliminator

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by armenakadino, May 3, 2011.

1. armenakadino

armenakadino Birth of a Detailer

I was wondering does anybody use any sort of an odor eliminator in there car, I been looking to buy some for those days when you bring food in the car and the car smells like pizza for 3 days. Any opinions on a good product to use

2. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

3. bakchoi

bakchoi Birth of a Detailer

I was always wondering if the chemical guys scent stuff really neutralize the smell or just temporarily masks with their scent.

4. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

odo ban has killed every odor i have thrown at it

5. Streetlife

Streetlife Birth of a Detailer

I use CG So Fast on all my details, i love the green apple smell. As a matter of fact, my wife picked up a loaner from Acura that had a fried chicken smell in it that was very strong, I sprayed CG So Fast in it, and the smell was gone when i checked the next day. It works fast on all odors, i only checked the next day because we stayed in for that day. The key to CG So Fast working so well is the time you give it to emulsify on very strong odors. :afro:

6. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

+1 on CarPro So2Pure, get it at Detailersdomain.com

7. armenakadino

armenakadino Birth of a Detailer

I was looking at the chemical guys one has anyone tried the meguiars professional one

8. StanVanDam

StanVanDam Virgin Detailer

Assuming the carpets, floor mats, seats, etc. are already clean:

Baking soda is a well-known odor eliminator. It is definitely safer, and might even be cheaper to use than other odor eliminators. Spread it out everywhere where you can vacuum it later, use the fridge deodorizer boxes with air flow-through screens, etc.

Failing that, you could try something containing cyclodextrin (Febreze or the likes, see Chemical Functional Definitions and https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Cyclodextrin). Dose the car with cyclodextrin, let it sit for awhile, ventilate well, and your odor should be gone.

The forum vendor eshine.ca has a section for odor eliminators - eShine Canada: Interior Care, Odor Elimination. You'll want to research them to determine the mechanism of action and for possible adverse chemical/allergenic reactions.

I had an air conditioning-related odor in my car, was fixed by installing new cabin air filters and running the heat on maximum for awhile.

9. jaynick808

jaynick808 Virgin Detailer

has it really?! so far ive been pretty disappointed. cant complain for like 9 dollars a gallon from sams club though. came with a 32oz prediluted spraybottle too

10. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

+1 for Odoban. It killed some rancid dog urine smells from a house my parents owned and has completely killed what little bit of smoke smell I had from a small electrical fire I had at my house back in march.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

11. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

in general there are 3 types of ways to get rid of odors.

Masking,
    they cover the odor by the introduction of a 2nd odor. Usually a more pleasant odor.

neutralizers,
    are used to stop one portion of the odor process, either encapsulation of odor molecules, encapsulation of the food sources that creates the odor, or sterilizing the food source so that the bacteria can't eat the food source.

Odor eliminators,
    These are not used that often as they apply to only certain types of odors. These break the odor molecule down into base components.

Masking is the most common, thing green air freshener. It is any type of odor introduced to cover up an offending cent. vanilla candle, pine tree air freshener, or glade plug in, watermelon scent. typically masking will last 1-2 days up to 30 days per application. Masking can include vapor fogging, and thermal fogging.

Odor neutralizers are the general all round get it done tool. This includes enzymes for eating the food source and forcing out offending bacteria that make the offending odor, shellacs that encapsulate the food source so that bacteria can not feed on it. it can also include some types or instances of thermal fogging and sterilizing agents like bleach or hydrogen per oxide. Less used methods are the absorbers like baking soda and charcoal. Typically because they require a vast amount of air movement to constantly push through them to absorb in a function fast enough to be effective for most odor applications. They work well in fridges because of the cooler temperatures and lack of light.

Odor eliminators are typically done with OZONE. Usually via an ozone machine. It works best on complex molecules like smoke odor. It cleaves the odor molecule in half breaking it down very quickly leaving that tell tale scent of "after thunderstorm". Ozone is harmful and dangerous in even small amounts. if you use it, you should at least take an IICRC class on odor removal to better under stand what you are doing, or should be doing.

The odors we see in cars are typically related to smoke, or food. Yes that includes fecal, puke, piss, pizza and any other type of fluid that can be eaten by bacteria. It is the bacteria eating the food, digesting it and off gassing the foul odors that make up the undesirable smells. So dealing with odors you must first understand what type you have, what media it is in, and what methods should be used to get rid of it. Often you need multiple methods to be rid of one odor based on where it is, how long it has been there and what has already been tried.

12. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i have found applying it until the area is damp is the most effective way