Novice advice.

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by kav, Apr 2, 2008.

1. kav

kav Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Sorry for the long post but I need some experienced advice..

I just ordered my PC7424 and was about to place an order for some products from one of EShine.ca but thought I should get some advice before I place the final order.

I finally cleaned the car today after a long winter and noticed that the paint isn't as bad as I exptected it would be. There are very faint swirls that were hard to photograph. Sadly there were a few heavier scratches. The car is 5 months old but has never been detailed, but did sit on a dealer show room floor for 10 months.

My currenty products are:
    Zaino Z2, Z5, ZFX, Z7, Z-PC and Zaino clay with detailing spray (Meguiar's).
    Meguiar'sProfessional #2 Fine cut cleaner and #7 polish (never used these - 4 years old)
    Sheepskin Wash mit
    Paint Squeege
    Meguiar's "Hot wheel" cleaner

Planned purchase from EShine.ca:
    The Dehydrator Drying Towel X1
    100% Sheepskin Mitt With Thumb X1 (throw old one out)
    Customizable 6.5" CCS DA Pad Starter Kit w/Backing Plate
    (Orange Mild Cut Pad, White Polishing Pad X2,Black Finishing Pad)
    Menzerna Nano Polish PO106FF (32oz) - don't know if I should just stick with Z-PC
    Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83Q (32 oz) - I don't know if my paint needs this.
    Applicator Yellow Foam Sealant/Carnauba X3 - to apply Zaino sealants
    The Cookie Monster Buffing Towel X4 - for removing Zaino and drying
    303 Aerospace Protectant - interior trim
    Amazing Roll Off (32oz) - recommended as engine cleaner/Dresser, so I'm going to try it.
    P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo
    P21S Wheel Cleaner (may just stick with Meguiar's Hot Wheel cleaner - cheaper)
    Swissvax Autobahn wheel wax with non-stick PTFE*, 50 ml (debating if this is worth it)
    Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel (may just stick with cheap stuff)
    Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz (may just stick with Meguiar's detailer spray)
    Plexus Plastic Cleaner/Protectant/Polish - going to try to polish out scuffs on clear bra
    Black Wow Trim Restorer 4oz - See picture below

Questions:
    1) Being a novice, and given that the paint does not look that bad, I'm wondering if I should forget the Super Intensive Polish and maybe even the Nano Polish and just go with the Zaino Z-PC. My main concern is if it will remove the swirls and also those deeper marks.
    2) The trim on this car is a little light and am wondering if the Black Wow is the stuff to use. I've heard it is hard to use and given that this is basically for the window surrounds it may be a lot to do.
    3) What do you think about the products and plans listed above? Any thoughts on other products I should use instead. Keeping in mind that that I am trying to spend the least amount of money possible while still getting some decent results.

Here are some pictures of the car (sorry about the bad pics)

PAINT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DEEPER Marks (my finger nail will catch in the big one :( )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TRIM
    [​IMG]

2. jetblackZ4

jetblackZ4 Birth of a Detailer

Cheers. I see you don't have much feedback yet but I'm sure you will.
    I'm really just a novice too so keep that in mind with my opinions. No experience with Zaino products here but always see good stuff about it. Your old megs no 2 cleaner is so-so and no 7 is a glaze. The squeege should only be used on your windows. Too big a risk of scratching your paint.
    I have used most of the stuff you want to order from eShine but not all. Chris has good stuff and is good to deal with.
    The Menz products are good. I don't think you can go wrong there.
    303 is good for more than interior IMO.
    I think the P21s wheel cleaner is better than Megs Hot Wheel IMO.
    Plexus is great but I don't think its what you need to polish clear bra if I understand what you have and if it's scuffed. You mean like the 3M film applied to your car?
    Have not tried Black Wow. Hope to soon. But is your trim that you are refering to rubber? I don't think BW works on rubber. If the car is pretty new BW may not be necessary.IMO
    I can't answer your question about whether to forget the Menz polishes vs Zaino. I'd get the Menz if it were me and the SIP looks like it might be necessary but I just don't know enough about the Z. I don't think you will get the heavy scratches out with the PC and these products however. Might improve them but may need some wet sanding or some thing else that I don't know about.
    Products all sound good. Sorry I don't have much time right now to say more. Hopefully someone else chimes in.
    G

3. kav

Thanks for your response! Good advice.
    I'd like to hear some more feedback if possible.

4. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have my "beginners" order about a month ago from eshine. PC, pads, cookie monsters, ONR, etc... but I went with the Optimum polishes, and Victoriawax. From reading all the reviews and just the sheer number of people using the Menzerna polishes, sounds like you can't go wrong with them.

Btw, congrats on the Z coupe. The car's lines reminded of my 03 convertible. I haven't tried working on the Z yet. But have done a test panel on my wife's Echo hatch. Corrected some with the Optimum polish, but I probably haven't worked it enough. Or might have to go stronger polish like Optimum compound.

When I first took delivery of the Z, it looked about the same condition as yours. I had a local detailer performed a multi-stage polish last year. It corrected all of the lighter swirls, but the deeper scratch still remained. But as far as I can remember, my nails don't catch on those scratches.

I'm sure lots of the pros on this forum will chime in. But good luck with your detail!

5. kav

Anyone else have any input. I'd like to place my order soon.

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I like the Menzerna polish, how they rate against Zaino, dont know, never used them. I wouldnt get the Wolfgang tire gel, it slings, even after you go back and wipe off excess, also the Wolfgang QD isn't that great either. Menzerna is probably the best polish out there right now to most people. The rest of the list looks fine, I prefer mf's from pakshak but other than that it looks good.

7. kav

Thank you again for the response.
    Any others?

8. Nica

Nica Banned

I think you have a well balanced order, I can't comment on the Zaino products becuase I honestly don't know much about them...as far as Menzerna goes best there is in the market at the moment :thumb:

That is one heck of an order if you ask me :thumb:

9. kav

So you guys don't think it is over SIP is over kill?
    Any thoughts on the ZPC ?
    Anyone have any thoughts on the scratches pictured?

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Sip should take the scratch out.

11. richy

richy Guest

Kav...I am going to suggest a few different things for you. For your scratch, I would suggest getting the langka kit from Chris. I would definitely get at least the 106ff..it will blow your mind the results you'll get! Also, you might forgo the black wow for now adn just use the 303 on your exterior (including rubber) as well..I like it very much. The other glaring omission to me is no clay..you really, really should get some clay (his Riccardo rocks), and for clay lube, QD and wash, I would strongly suggest ONR. It's great for winter washes and I like to add an oz to my regular wash to increase the lubricity. Hope that helps.

12. kav

I'm showing my newness to this whole thing, but what is QD and ONR?

I do have some zaino clay but was saving it for before I did the polish? Or do you need to bother with this if you are going to be using the SIP/106ff?

13. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

You should clay before polishing if it has never been done or it hasn't been done in quite sometime.