Not bad for 99

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by black-n-silver, Mar 16, 2013.

1. black-n-silver

black-n-silver Any Rag Vehicle Washer

...no not a '99, but 99 years old!
    A 1914 Renault ED (chassis #44431) with a Locke and Company coachwork body. It is unknown how many of these chassis/body combinations were actually built, but this is the only one known to exist. The chassis was built in France and sent to Renault's American Selling Branch in New York.

I did not take lots of different Afters, but have quite a few Befores. Now on with the show!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35's baby, Donk that!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful engine! But I did not touch this area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And before we get started with the actual detail, a shot of the interior:
    [​IMG]

There is a brass footrest in front of the seat that I forgot to get a shot of. The interior is original and looks like furniture from a fine hotel.

The Detail:
    I started with the Metro Blaster Sidekick Dryer to knock the dust and stray leaves off the car.

The owner did not want to put a hose on the car, so I used Detail Juice as rinseless wash on the car. I did a panel wash, wiping with one of Phil's MF towels, and finished with a spray of Detail Spray & dried with an Adam's Waterless Wash towel.
    The wheels were a challenge without water, but my solution was to clean the tires with APC and the new Adam's Deep Clean Tire Scrub Brush. I removed the APC with the rinseless wash solution in a pump-up sprayer. I sprayed Waterless Wash on the spokes (both sides!) and wiped with an Edgeless Microfiber Utility towel. The owner was nice enough to lift the car so I could rotate the tires to clean them, a huge help, especially for applying SVRT.

As I was washing the car the owner started polishing the brass. He was using a metal polish he said 'was the best he had found'. I handed him Adam's Metal Polish #1 & #2 and he did a side by side comparison. No shock to me - the Adam's MP's blew the other one away! (A side note - Thanks to Adam for returning my phone call to talk metal polish on a Saturday morning!)

After wiping off the roof I applied a good coating of SVRT, and then it was on to the polishing.

I told the owner this was the easiest car I had ever polished! The majority of the panels were large and flat, and almost 2x2 as well! (And the framing from the door handles to the roof is wood, which I polished as well.) This was just a 'shine up', not a prep for a concours show, so I just used Adam's Fine Machine Polish and a white Adam;s pad to remove some of the dullness on the 30 year old paint. As this was my first time working with single stage paint AND working on an aluminum bodied car, I preferred to make 4 passes with the fine polish rather than 1 with Swirl and Haze Remover. (Maybe next time we will do a 'show' detail on it and remove ALL the swirls and dried metal polish.)
    I cleaned the windows with Adam's Glass Cleaner and Glass Towels, then topped the car off with a nice coat of Americana.

Now the Afters:

[​IMG]

Just to show how big this car is (I am 6'1")
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Very cool car :)

3. GoFast908Z

GoFast908Z DB Pro Supporter

Very cool! Love the 35's and "donk" comment.

4. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Nice work there.

5. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

Nice work! I like the seats a lot.

6. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Love seeing vehicles like this get some fine skilled work done....great job

7. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

that's crazy, I was surprised when I scrolled down to the more distant shots and saw that it was in someones driveway and not a museum.

8. black-n-silver

black-n-silver Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks everyone.

Yep, he keeps it in his 2 car garage (just barely fits under the door), along with 4 sweet motorcycles (including a 50cc Honda that does 100 mph), and the chassis & parts from a Bugatti Type 13 race car (early 1910's), Hope to do some work on that one as it gets nearer to completion.