NOOB Use colonite 845 or 476s

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by young_buck, Dec 1, 2008.

1. young_buck

young_buck Virgin Detailer

NOOB Use colonite 845 or 476s

I have been crusin' the forums for awhile and have since been bitten. Too long have i used whatever was by the sink to wash my beast. I have not waxed her in the 3+ years shes been mine, and i feel bad. I want to take care of her exterior as good as i take care of the motor.

Her name is: Shiva Goddess of the Silver Lightning.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recently came across colonite 845 and 476s for quite cheap and was wondering if i could use both or if im only limited to one?

Also if i could use both which one first?

(last One) Could i put more than one coat of each?

I will be putting this all on by hand with my newly purchased Ragshack Rags :headbang:
    They were my first buy after i was bitten 12 Shag Rags, 1 Gladiator, 1 Amazing Dryer

Is there any kind of car wash soap i could buy that will be local "gold class?" would that be ok?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for having me here!
    :worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2:

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

:welcome: to Detailing Bliss young_buck!

I don't see any reason why you can't put more than a coat of each Collinite. However, I personally would put two layers total to ensure even coverage.

As for OTC car wash shampoos, Meguiar's Gold Class is great! There are some other car wash shampoos out there that are better but there's definitely nothing wrong with GC.

3. young_buck

Thanks alot Denzil,

Which one should i put on first? the 845 or 476s

4. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

I agree with denzil on all accounts.Gold class is good product.

5. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

On the principle that the most durable wax/sealant goes on the bottom, I would apply 476s first. But given that 476 is one of the most durable waxes out there, I probably would apply two coats of 476 and leave it at that.

On the other hand, given that 845 is a breeze to apply and remove and given that 476 can be difficult (at least so many report), I might well decide to apply two coats of 845 and leave 476 to another time.

Cheers,
    Al

6. young_buck

What would you guys recommend on the matte black on my hood, side scoops, and spoiler?

Also my order of actions would be:

Wash with gold class.

Wash Once more for love.

Dry

Then right to wax.

Is this good? It is my first venture into actuall waxing and detailing. Eventually i will clay my paint after i get comfortable waxing, and gather more funds......damn holidays.

7. Niyo

Niyo Virgin Detailer

I use both 476 and 845 pretty often. What works best for me is 2 coats of 476 then 2 coats of 845. Thats a pretty bulletproof.

I agree goldclass is a nice OTC. I would also consider duragloss 901 from carquest or other OTC places.

8. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

476 will give you a good arm workout if you put it on too thick. That's from experience :thumb:

9. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Nice stang, whats done to it? Ive got the same wheels on my GT.

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I use 476 and 845 almost daily this time of year. 845 is way easier to apply and is noticeably shinier than 476. 476 gives more of a warm glow, is a bit harder(but not hard) to apply and has a bit better durability. wash and wax your car one afternoon and then apply the second coat the next am.The second coat will go on and come off way easier. With both products, apply to a couple panels at a time and remove and work your way around the car. If 476 dries on you it a PITA. I apply both with the round CCS applicators from ProperAutoCare. My fav soaps are P21S, Blackfire and Poorboys Super Slick&Suds.

11. akimel

How cold does it get where you live? At what point does it get too cold to apply 845? The manufacter says not to use it under 60F, but what is the experience of others who have used the product?

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hmm that must be really weird because I applied 476s on the race car trailer I've been working on one side at a time and I didn't have a difficult time removing it.

I guess the batch I have is really lucky and/or my weather conditions (I love Cali), LoL. For reference, I did use a 6.5" blue LC pad to apply 476s very thinly. Boy that was sure a lot of surface area to cover! :)

13. 911Fanatic

I've applied both Colli products at between 4 and 10 degreesC(40 and 50F) with no problem within the last two weeks.

14. 911Fanatic

Applying it by machine saved your ass buddy! If you tried that by hand in warm weather and it dried, you'd be hooped! I've never applied by machine. What pad and speed do you use?

15. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

I've noticed that as well. I shove a black 4in pad into the 476 container and spin it on speed 1 for a second then go through like 3 panels on speed 3-4 with it. I only put it back into the tin if I really need to add more to it.

I did it by hand and it was HORRIBLE :thud:

16. young_buck

To D&D Auto Detailing: The mods are as follows.

Engine:
    100 shot Cold Fusion nitrous kit
    BBK Intake
    BBK O/R X pipe
    NGK plugs TR-5's

Drivetrain:
    Spec Stage 3 Clutch
    Steeda Adj. Quadrant
    Steeda Firewall Adj.
    Steeda Clutch Cable

Suspension:
    Maxspeed Springs (cheap, but low.....but cheap)
    Welded in Full Length Sub Frame Connectors
    Mid Bar
    Strut Tower Bar

Did Anyone Have any recomendations for the matte black on the hood?

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq222/young_buck/101_2393.jpg

A quick detailer maybe or could i wax her too?

I live in south texas and its winter so our weather is about 75-80 and sunny. Summers are 95-104.

17. RamSus

RamSus Jedi Nuba

I second this.

18. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Megs Gold Class is a fantastic shampoo, nice choice! If you have a local Carquest, the Duragloss 901 is also excellent, and my preferred shampoo.

I have both 476 and 845, but have only used 476. This weekend, the Souveran will be stripped off my truck and the 845 and 476 will be applied.

But I was under the impression that the 845 goes first, then the 476? Is it the other way around?

19. akimel

Logically, I would think that 476s, being the most durable, would properly serve as one's foundational wax and that 845 should be applied on top of it. But just today I read the Accumulator at Autopia suggesting the opposite. Doesn't make sense to me, but lots of things don't make sense to me.

20. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I guess you could do one half of the car one way and the other half the other way, LoL.