Noob Question

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Alex1389, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Alex1389

Alex1389 Two Bucket System Washer

Hey guys attempting my 1st paint correction, just bought a brand new Mk6 black Golf Gti and have noticed minor imperfections in the paint (light scratches and swirls) now I have ordered Auto Finesse Tough Prep & Auto Finesse tough coat sealant. Now when using the tough pre prior to applying the tough coat do I need to use a Uber Green pad prior to using the finish pad? this will all be carried out with a Griots Garage 6inch DA.

Thanks guys.

2. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Congrats on the new car man! I haven't used AF products myself, but I've used the Uber green pads quite a bit. They are awesome pads, very versatile. It can make an aggressive polish like SIP finish very well, and can be used with finer polishes and make a great finish. Depending on how well the AF polish cuts and finishes, the green pad will work perfect. Then use a black pad to apply tough coat. Hope this is helpful!

3. Alex1389

Very helpful :) This will be my 1st black paint correction so I'm a little on the concerned side hehe would it be worth my while using a Meguires cutting compund prior to the pre sealant prep?

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

If you are doing a compounding stage it should be before any others, I am not familiar with AF products....... what megs cutting compound are you using? there are a few

5. Bmer89

You only need a cutting compound if there is some deeper scratches, and will be the first polishing step. Always work from the most aggressive step (only as aggressive as needed for the job), to least. If perfection is what you're going for, then it will be worth picking up some heavier polish to achieve your goal. I personally use Menzerna polishes with Uber pads on a DA, so I can't really comment on/recommend other products. But if you're gonna be compounding, get some cutting pads (Uber yellow or orange). IMO it will be worth correcting all the way because its a new car, and black. Gotta start it out right ;) all depends on how much time and materials you are willing to put into it.

6. Alex1389

I just bought the Uber 5pack pads from DetailersDomain so im just waiting for them to be shipped (im from Australia so shipping takes time) , just like you mentioned I would prefer a complete correction from the start that way it will make maintenance easier at later stages. I was thinking of using Meguires 105/205? Ive heard some good reviews on the Sonax 3/6 - 5/5 so if i have to spend a little extra to ensure a better finish im more than happy to :)

7. Kilo6_one

If its a daily driver, don't get too obssessed with it being 100% corrected, I did that and it drove me nuts. If you are looking to remove hazing, swirls then do a small test spot with the AF product. If that does not yield the results you want, step up to something more aggressive. I have not used 105/205, im a menzerna user as well.

BMER89 is right........

I hear good things about Megs D300 with the MF pad system and even other foam pads. Maybe look into that, It all comes down to what you are looking to get. I have a VW passat variant, and I just did a one step with a green uber pad and Powerfinish, took some of the hazing and swirls out. My wife drives it and my kids rid in it so I didnt care as much. I was just looking for a good base to apply Wolf's HB too.

There are SOOO many polishes out now, Sonax has some good stuff, Menzerna as always, Scholls, etc etc..........

do a test spot, that is I guess what Im trying to get at.

8. Bmer89

I too have read good things about the new Sonax polishes and wouldn't mind giving them a try myself. I'm assuming you ordered one of each color with the 5 pack? If so, since you'll only have one of each to work on the whole car, keep an eye on the pad and keep them clean, not letting polish build up on them. I have an Uber pad brush and I brush off the surface every couple of passes and spin off the excess dust. This will keep your results consistent and ensure nothing on the pad will cause damage to your paint.

9. Alex1389

thanks heaps for the great feed back, after 5min on DetailersDomain its turned into an obsession lol

10. Bmer89

Yep, you're gonna fit right in! Haha

That's where I do most of my shopping, loads of great products, product information, reviews, and Phil and his team are always helpful and provide superior customer service.

11. Alex1389

That wishlist just keeps getting bigger and bigger as time goes on lol, enjoy guys thanks again :)

12. Kilo6_one

You are doomed.......... well your wallet LOL

13. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

Real men cares not for wallet because there's always next month

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

14. Kilo6_one

LOL................ that is hilarious.

15. Alex1389