NON acid wheel cleaners

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by bryansbestwax, Jun 19, 2008.

1. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Is ARO the best? So far AM Magnificent is top dog for me so far, any suggestions?

2. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

P21s gel here. I didnt think ARO was for wheels?

3. bryansbestwax

yup there are a few reviews on it.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Wheel surface Cleaning -
    Always check the products MSDS and its pH value before you use it. It is always preferable that you use a 100% acid-free product.

It is important to keep wheel surfaces clean, as well as improving the overall look of the vehicle leaving them dirty can have many adverse effects; the black powder coating on the surface of your wheel has four components; a static friction charge (caused by the pads contact with the rotors) that attracts dirt, road tar and other contaminants kicked up by both your vehicle and others. Friction heats the pads and callipers to extremely high temperatures, and causes tiny particles of hot metal to wear off and sent flying in different directions.

Wheel surface Cleaning - http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f35/wheel-cleaners-1201.html

5. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I just got a bottle of the Presta non acid wheel cleaner....I used it on my Friends F-350 polished aluminum wheels that were covered in brake dust from heavy braking with a equipment trailer being towed behind it...I just sprayed it on let it sit till I finished all the wheels and hosed off...no agitation..and they came out spotless..very nice product....I coated them with DG 104 paste..my wheel wax now...lol....

it can be bought up to a 5 gallon pail for about 85.00...I just got a 22oz bottle to try it out from the jobber who come to the body shop ....

MPI - NON-ACID WHEEL & TIRE CLEANER

its a very nice product

AL

6. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Sound very interesting How does it compare to WB and P21s gel?

7. bryansbestwax

Awesome, I am already hooked up with Presta for pads, polishes and Aquasol (like Prepsol) but I have never tried the wheel cleaner. I might get some on my next shipment

8. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I never used P21 wheel cleaner..so I can not comment on that one....I have used WB alot and the Presta cleaner is very close to that grade cleaner....but much safer to use....

try a small bottle like I did and then see if you like it...

Al

9. bryansbestwax

I think I'll get a couple of gallons,

10. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Same here

11. eShine

eShine Guest

Bryan, how did the APC sample we sent work as wheel cleaner? It is 100% acid free.

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have used P21S Gel , Menzerna 7.5 and Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner. The AG product will pull dirt out of tires after they have been previously cleaned with P21S or Menz. It is non-acidic and leaves a nice shine on the wheels.

13. BretFraz

BretFraz Virgin Detailer

Y'all need to read MSDS sheet before buying stuff like this. That Presta wheel cleaner is pretty strong stuff, pH is 12.0 - 13.5, stronger than Simple Green out o the bottle.

The fact that it doesn't have hydrofluoric acid doesn't mean its safe and gentle. It has potassium hydroxide in it which is the opposite of acid but just as corrosive and can damage finishes if used improperly. A strong alkali is just as bad as a strong acid, just doesn't sound as scary.

Ethylene Glycol and Glycol Ether is in that Presta product, too. Do a little searching and learn about the stuff.

I wouldn't use this wheel cleaner unless it was an extreme case. Be careful out there, guys.

14. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Informative - A strong alkali is just as bad as a strong acid, just doesn't sound as scary.

See also - Acids, pH and Alkalinity - Acid, pH and Alkalinity - DetailingWiki

15. bryansbestwax

It worked well also, No real issues with it, I will try it on the inlaws wheels tomorrow and post pics