Nitrogen in tires?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Sparkie, May 17, 2008.

1. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

2. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

that sure proves useful. But what do they charge to fill tires with nitrogen? If they charge $50, forget it...

3. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

It was 30 bucks in my area...They told me as long as I have my tires they will top them off as necessary....

4. Denalio

Denalio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

If you are in the USA. Costco has the nitrogen fill up. They have to leave the compressor available at all times including after hours. Just go there and fill up for free. I think the only advantage is nitrogen does not have any moisture like the air compressors.

5. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

That was my understanding as well. NASCAR guys use nitrogen in the tires because of the moisture and don't quote me but it may be lighter as well. It is also what they use in their air guns during pit stops. I don't think it'll increase gas mileage. If you have all tires at the same pressure air vs. nitrogen I don't think there will be a difference. Having the proper amount of air (or nitrogen) pressure can affect mileage so everyone should be checking their tire pressure every month to make sure they are properly inflated.

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

actually the whole idea of switching to nitrogen, it doesn't escape from tires like oxygen, so you shouldn't be loosing tire pressure.

7. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

It is lighter, and its unsprung weight.

8. exoticGuy

exoticGuy Birth of a Detailer

If there's actually any weight difference, I imagine it would be so insignificant it wouldn't factor in. The big thing about nitrogen in tires is that yes, it wont leak, but also the fact that regular air expands and contracts. Nitrogen doesn't change, so if you set your tire pressure to 32, it will stay at 32 no matter what the weather, temperatures, or how you drive your car. This is a HUGE deal for cars that go onto the track, or get driven hard. For the exotics I work on, when they used to go to the track, we'd drop the pressure by a few pounds to factor in the expansion of the air once the tires/air get heated up. This also contributes to fuel economy. If it's set at the ideal pressure, and wont fluctuate, your car will be better on gas. It's the same idea as cruise control.

9. exoticGuy

Oh, and as for cost, it all depends on what machine is being used. They all work differently, and it's all a matter of how high the nitrogen content is. The best machines out there will get it to between 99.1% and 99.9% nitrogen. When we got ours, we were told that very few shops have machines at that level simply because of the cost of it. We charge $80 for all for tires at our shop, and it's worth it for over 99% nitrogen, especially since many of our clients see the regions of 300km/h in their cars on the track.

10. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Meh. Why bother? Air is 75% nitrogen (by weight!) as it is.

11. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

the best reason for nitrogen is its dry...as with air you get moisture in the tire and can pit the inside of rims..it also stays constant pressure with temp flux....my truck came with tires filled with it...and I go to Ford to top off if needed...

Al

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Al hit it right on the head-it is more stable so the air pressures do not fluxuate as much with the new car tire sensors being so sensitive it cuts down on the tire lights coming on when the weather temps change.

13. jsatek

jsatek Birth of a Detailer

I've been doing it for 3-4 years. Only way to drive.
    A machine only cost 3k if you want to offer it to your customers.

14. exoticGuy

Or you can spend $10g on a machine that'll get it over 99% lol Once I'm finally able to get my summer tires on, I'll be filling them with nitrogen..

15. Denalio

Denalio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Yes and Nascar uses it because it does not heat up as quick and is more stable to control tire temps.