Nikon users please help

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Grey Ghost, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

I just did a quick wash on my mothers truck and i used a Nikon D40 to take a few pics to send to a potential client.

My problem is focusing.

how can i make the camera focus the area i need?

its makes it very hard for me to send before/after pics since my mother's truck does have some swirlies that i managed to remove by using Meg's clay kit and a hand polish.

heres a quick before and after of a messy area;

before
    [​IMG]

focus owns me
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

an attempt to get some flakes to "pop". again, focus owning me
    [​IMG]

2. oneshare325

oneshare325 Two Bucket System Washer

Are you manual focusing? you an auto only user?

Try to manual focus, but you can also choose the focus points by hitting the bottom left button (? button I think) and then choosing the focus points from the right menu on the main screen.

3. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

Could you just be too close for the min. focal distance of your lens? Pics 2 & 4 look like they were taken very close to the surface... are you using a macro lens of some sort?

4. ghost28

ghost28 Birth of a Detailer

try the macro setting on the D40...looks like a little flower thingy.....that usually helps....i find that switching to manual focus helps out in close up work because the sensors dont like to focus on that kinda stuff...My.02

5. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

hmm i'll try that

thats possible, using the standard 18-55 lens that it came with

would that be the little radial dial on the top?

i wish i could read the manual..... but they are in spanish.....

6. freon warrior

freon warrior Virgin Detailer

7. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

I looked up that lens and it looks like the min. focal distance of it is 11". Were you closer to the subject than 11"?

8. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

Hey thanks!:applause2: nver thought to "google" the camera...... :shrug:

yeah, about 7-8"

i held the camera against my arm while i held onto the truck cause it was WINDYY once i got done.....

9. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Make sure on your lens that the little switch is placed on A for Auto, that focuses the camera for you if your shooting by hand, otherwise put it on M when the camera is on a tripod.

10. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

If you were 7-8" from the surface then you were inside of the min. focal distance of the lens and there is no way the camera could get the shot in focus.

You need to back up to outside of 11" away for the focus to work with the 18-55mm.

11. sk8ter4life

sk8ter4life Virgin Detailer

how bout using a tripod