Newbie Wanna-be Detailer

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Ch40t1c, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

Hey guys, just joined up on the forums and wanted to introduce myself (right place?). Anyways my name is Chris, I'm 17, ALMOST done with my first year at college thank god, and I'm really interested in detailing cars as a hobby (friends/family cars nothing professional). I wanna get decent at it before I get my own first car :p

Well, with father's day coming up I'd like to detail (well try.) my Dad's Volvo. I was wondering if anyone could compile a list of good beginner necessities, and how much the would cost approximately. I plan on just doing the exterior, but if someone could list some basic interior materials required that'd be great!

Hope to hear from you all soon.

:worship2:

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

:welcome: Chris

you are going to get bombarded with reccomendations. Are you looking to buy OTC or ordering from the internet? Also, do you have a polisher? whats the spending limit?

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

You came to the right place. This forum is full of nice people who are more than willing to help. My first questions would be...

What supplies do you already have?
    What do you hope to achieve?
    Do you have a rotary/random orbital polisher?
    What is your budget? The reason I ask this is we can recommend products from all different tiers of expense. What color is your dad's Volvo?

First up for washing...(cheaper stuff)
    Two 5 gallon buckets
    At least one Grit Guard
    Lowe's Proline Grout Sponges or Quality Sheepskin Mitt
    Duragloss 901 Car Soap
    Swissvax Wheel Brush/ Uber Spoke Brush @ detailersdomain.com

This will at least get you in the maintenence stages.

4. iddqd

iddqd Any Rag Vehicle Washer

OTC is a good way to start (imo) - gets you introduced to good stuff on the cheap. Of course, I'm biased, since that's the way I learned...

5. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Welcome to DB!

6. Ch40t1c

I can do OTC or over the internet, whichever is cheaper really! I hope to not spend a whole bunch, but willing to invest in it as a hobby so approximately $400.

What supplies do you already have?
    None :doh:

What do you hope to achieve?
    I hope to remove some of the circles (Unsure of the "correct" term), and just help the paint look a little better, car is about 3 years old.

Do you have a rotary/random orbital polisher? I believe we do somewhere, but I think it might be for waxing? If that makes a difference.

What is your budget?
    Approximately $400, hoping to spend less though! (Gotta save for that car of my own lol.)

What color is your dad's Volvo?
    It's a dark blue XC90, 2006 I believe.

7. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Welcome to the boards!!

It sounds like you may have one of those old 7in orbitals.
    Maybe good for applying wax but I wouldnt have to much faith in anything else with that. If you try to
    remove wax, it all just gums up the bonnet.

8. Ch40t1c

Oh, I also plan on practicing on my mom's car first, which is a dark(er) red Volvo S40 sedan, paint is in TERRIBLE shape, paint chips and all, but I think I could get some good practice in. I was wondering if you have to buy new clay bars/wheel gel stuff per car? Or does it last you a little while?

Still a little light out, can run out and take some pictures of both cars if that would help!

9. Cooter

Cooter Guest

You cant re-use clay bar's. You might have some left over from the previous car. If you do just put it in a ziplock bag with some quick detailer in it to keep it from drying out.

Once you use wheel cleaner, its gone.

10. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

welcome to DB and to detailing. here's a quick list of stuff i can think of off the top of my head that will get you started. as youre looking to remove some of the "circles" on your dads car (the proper term is swirl marks), you're going to need to pick up a random orbital polisher, such as a porter cable.

2 5 gallon buckets
    at least one grit guard
    good quality wash sponge or mitt
    car soap
    a good wheel cleaner (P21S Wheel Gel is always a good choice)
    a decent wheel brush
    clay bar
    clay lubricant
    microfiber towels
    a good drying towel
    Porter Cable Random Orbital Polsher
    as assortment of pads for the polisher
    a good "one-step" polish (since you're on a budget)
    Glass Cleaner
    A Decent Wax and applicator

i know it looks like a lot, but this is just scratching the surface (no pun intended) of the necessities one needs for a well rounded detailing arsenal suitable for the hobbyist. let us know if you're looking for more specific product recommendations. a good idea would be to check out some of the sites sponsors/vendors as you can get some nice discounts that way and have all your questions regarding products and processes here. good luck!

11. Ch40t1c

Thanks for all the help! Are there any specific brands I should look for?

12. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

oh man, I'm so sorry you want to do this as a hobby... just go to the doctor now, you will soon find that you have the same disease we have..its terrible, incurable, and oh so contagious.

Where are you from?? Possibly there will be a member close to you that can help with a little hands on in what the correct processes are.

13. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

starting out you could probably get away with going with some over the counter stuff for like say you're wash soap. also the clay, you can probably pick up a mothers clay kit at your local auto parts store. wheel cleaner i feel is something that should not be skimped on, which is why i suggested the P21S wheel gel. you also would want to get yourself some decent microfibers. id skip the generic over the counter ones at the stores. as far as the pads and polishes, you're going to be getting those online.

14. Ch40t1c

I'm from Washington state, like 10 minutes from downtown Seattle. I'm looking at the microfiber all purpose towels from detailerdomain.com, I believe I read somewhere you should have 3-5? (Dumb question -> are they reusable? It's just they are so cheap I'm unsure)

15. mrgolfrider

I would suggest getting in touch with Spyral. He has about everything you need, is a pretty cool dude, and will be most helpfull with the question you will have.

I would have about 20 mf atleast, and 2 of which being waffle weaves for drying. Wash in washer, NO fabric softner, warm water, air dry or delicate dry in dryer, they should last years!!

16. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Welcome...:thumb:...:welcomewagon::welcome: :welcome2:

17. Ch40t1c

Just browsing around detailersdomain.com I found this -> http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=21

Which seems like a pretty good deal, anything you guys would suggest adding to that beginner's kit?(Or would you suggest buying the products seperately) Also, does anyone know of any promotions currently going on for that site?

18. mrgolfrider

The forum code is floating around here somewhere, it is 10% off, and right now he is running the 18% off all Uber towels

19. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Meguiars Gold class soap is good stuff. DuraGloss can be found at some CarQuest Autoparts stores. DG is a really nice line. Their soap is one of the best out there.

Get some really good microfibers and take really good care of them and they'll last you a long time.

20. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

Hey man, I am in Seattle. If you want a kit like that, why not drive down to Tacoma and go to Griot's Garage and pick up some pro-level products?

This kit would really get you going and you would not have to wait to have it shipped.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+care+kits/6"+orbital+bag+kit.do

If you really want to check out some products, you could stop by my warehouse and check out my detailing supplies, see what kind of products you like and what works for you before you buy. I have a DA and a rotary as well that you could try out. I spend pretty much all day every Saturday detailing my car and trying new products. You are more than welcome to bring the car by.