Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by onebaucom, Apr 22, 2011.

1. onebaucom

onebaucom Birth of a Detailer

Okay, these question are really stupid, but i'll ask them anyways. =] I just ordered Chemical Guys V7, Adam's Revive Polish, and Optimum Car Wax. I also have Autoglym HD Wax.
    First question...after using the revive polish (by hand) and before putting on the sealant do I need to wipe down the car and with what?
    Second question...with using Chemical Guys V7 which do ya'll think would look better to top it with..AG HD wax or OCW? And how many coats of that wax should be applied?
    Oh and how the cure time for the sealant?
    Last stupid question...even with using the claybar should I still wash the car with dawn before?

Thanks for any answers and again I'm sorry for the stupid questions! I'm going to be spending the whole day trying to get my car cleaned up and want to get it right since this is the first time I am really getting into all this stuff and using all of these products! Thank you!

2. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Should be ok not having to do a wipe down after Revive Polish (not 100% sure)
    I would go with HD wax. One coat will be sufficient but it doesn't hurt to put on 2 :thumb:
    Typically when using a sealant I would wait at least an hour before topping it with any wax. That will give you good time to clean interior/windows/shine tires etc..
    For using dawn it really depends if you have any protection on the car right now. If you do then go ahead and use it but be careful when using it. It can harm trim pieces. I personally would never use dish soap on my paint but that's just me. I usually go for P21S TAW when stripping lsp.

3. ramprun

ramprun Any Rag Vehicle Washer

everyone always wash their car with dawn before claying. That being said, i wonder if it would be fine to clay it even if you have sealant on top. this should provide more protection when you clay. try to do 1/2 of the hood with clay first and the other 1/2 with dawn first and clay later.