Newbie - Engine cleaning on 2003 Porsche 996

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by hopeforcash, Apr 5, 2010.

1. hopeforcash

hopeforcash Virgin Detailer

How safe/dangerous is it to spray the engine of the 996. New to the car. The battery is in the front, so does that mean I do not need to cover anything up in the back?

Any suggestions/instructions for most effective cleaning?

Thanks

2. rs1tc

rs1tc Virgin Detailer

I would treat it like any other engine bay. Cover up parts that you don't want water going into. I usually use a gentle (low pressure) wide spray and keep the hose a safe distance from the engine. The less cleaner you use the easier it is to rinse away. I enjoy using P21S Total Auto Wash but any quality APC should work. IIRC there are some air ducts that you might want to cover up but it's been awhile since I've done one of these. Take a minute and look the engine over before you start cleaning to know what area's you need to watch out for.

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Protection of Electrical Components

The most important electrical components are sealed ‘water resistant’, that is to say against low pressure, water splashing encountered in the course of daily driving conditions. As long as you avoid directing a strong stream of water (or a pressure washer at close range) directly into these components, you will be fine.
    You need to cover various parts prior to using any cleaning products, sprays (water deterrent, formula 40(WD-40)) or water.
    • Alternator
    • Alarm Housing
    • Intercooler
    • Battery terminals (if not covered already)
    • Induction kit cone (if you have one)
    • Coil packs
    • Electronic control units (ECU)
    • On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) port
    • Air intake systems (exposed air filters) can be covered with plastic wrap and a rubber band

Notes:
    1. This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it marquee specific, if in doubt use a water repellent (WD-40) and exercise common sense
    2. Tin foil is a better alternative to using cling-film for the alternator, alarm housing etc as it is easier to mould and has greater protection properties. I suggest you use a plastic bag for the induction kit and just wrap it tight over the end to stop any water ingress.
    3. For the intercooler the best way to cover is to get a flat sheet of cardboard and just cut it to size so it fits and covers the fins. Cardboard will normally protect the fins for the duration of the washing. It will get soaked so discard after the wash.

An extract from "Engine Bay Detailing", one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved

5. hopeforcash

Thanks for the replies and Jedidiah the engines look amazing!

Here's where I really need help. I have no clue what I'm looking at. Where should I be covering up?

Attached Files:

6. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

[​IMG]

you're going to want to cover up the air duct on the left side (black) with the waffle looking pattern and probably those pulleys on the bottom of the picture.

7. Carbon

Carbon DB Forum Supporter

I would go very easy with the water, might even want to just use a rag and spray bottle and go that route. Not as good as high pressure water, but better be safe then sorry.

Rich

8. hopeforcash

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't wait so I tried to clean the engine. Considering I did not know what I was washing and did not cover anything up, I decided to avoid any degreaser or cleaner and used a brush and normal garden hose with showerhead spray.

I avoided the airduct section and just watered down the rest. Was not a very clean but a lot cleaner than it was. Then went for a drive. No damages so far.

When I have time again, perhaps use a rag/microfiber and wipe down what I can.

9. poonamt93

poonamt93 Virgin Detailer

When cleaning your car, you normally think in terms of washing the outside and sprucing up the interior. How about under the hood? There are a number of practical reasons to include engine cleaning in your regular maintenance.

Have you ever crawled around under a car as drops of oil and bits of grease fall into your eyes and hair? Or tried to find a tiny oil leak when the engine is coated with dirt and grime? Does it bother you when smears of road grime appear on your arms and hands after performing a simple tune up?

10. rs1tc

rs1tc Virgin Detailer

You DO NOT want to wrap the alternator in tin foil you will learn the hard way about how metal conducts electricity. I don't see a need to cover a charge air cooler, I use less pressure around sensitive components and have yet to damage anything.
    Also, starting the detail in the engine bay gives it plenty of time to dry off before the engine needs started again. Assuming you don't need to move the car much while working on the outside of the vehicle.

11. ndrom

ndrom Two Bucket System Washer

I would NOT use foil to wrap an alternator. If any part of the positive lead is exposed you will cause a short along with the possibility of fire and/or damage to the electrics.

I also do not see the need to cover an intercooler (or radiators and AC condensers for that matter)