New Wax Fridge

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by DaytonaJae, Jul 30, 2014.

1. DaytonaJae

DaytonaJae Birth of a Detailer

I ran across this at Sam's Club a few weeks ago. It was on sale for $80. Holds 6 bottles of wine. As a detailer, of course my first thought was, "waxes!"

So I ordered one.

Haier 6-Bottle Wine Cellar with Electronic Controls - Sam's Club

It's small enough to fit on my shelf nicely and I like the clear door along with the LCD display, touch controls and LED light inside. (Yes, I have waxed the fridge already)

The unit is well constructed for my intended purposes. I'm sure it will chill down bottles of wine very nicely, but that's not what I bought it for...

[​IMG]

So far so good, but the shelves that came with the unit were made to hold wine bottles... so the wax containers did not sit flat, and could fall through...

So I removed the shelves and stacked them in side...

[​IMG]

Better, but still not happy.

A simple Google search for custom cut plexiglass showed multiple companies that offer this service. So I measured the two shelves that came with the fridge, and entered my specifications, then ordered two pieces of cut plastic.

A week later, this arrived...

[​IMG]

Rounded corners and polished edging. Total was $44 for two pieces. Not exactly cheap but they are custom made.

So now,

[​IMG]

Looks much better

With lights off in garage, LED turned on inside fridge

[​IMG]

The fridge itself has touch controls to set the desired temperature, and minimum setting seems to be 46F. I dont know if it can be switched to display Centigrade or not. However, the unit, while in the heat of my garage in a Florida summer, is only capable of cooling down to about 55F no matter what I set it to. Not bad for a little unit with 92F in the garage.

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

nice! thanks for sharing!

3. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

That's a great idea and looks sharp to.

Pardon my ignorance, is there any benefit to having a wax fridge other than to prevent the wax from becoming to soft on the warm days of the summer?
    I was having a look at the units I can get for this purpose. It does get rather warm here in the Summer months so I thought this may be a great idea.

4. DaytonaJae

DaytonaJae Birth of a Detailer

I was told the waxes last longer when kept in colder temperatures.

5. black-n-silver

black-n-silver Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You are a sick fellow!

6. ROHfan

ROHfan New Member

Not even joking here, but this thread made me chuckle like a school boy. Really inventive idea, and another great idea with the custom shelving. I bet that looks insane when you walk into the dark garage with just the fridge illuminated. I almost wished I lived in a hot climate so I can copy that idea. :)

7. inDetail

inDetail New Member

Keeping them cool retards the solvents from evaporating and keeps the oils from drying out. If you don't have a place where the temp is cool around 60-70 it's perfectly fine to keep them in the fridge. Most places in your home the temps will swing. My basement is the most stable temp in my house and it's cool down there. The most important thing is having stable temps that do not swing too much.
    It's just easier to keep it in the fridge. It's at a reasonably consistent temp all year long unless the power goes out.
    When your gonna be using it take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temp then wax away.
    I keep all of my two tub collection each one wrapped in plastic wrap and in a tupperware.

8. obsidian LGT

obsidian LGT Birth of a Detailer

Wow that's awesome!

9. Doc

Doc New Member

Awesome idea! May have to convert a section of the beer fridge into wax storage.