New vechicle en route...suggestions??

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Celtic Bob, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Celtic Bob

Celtic Bob Two Bucket System Washer

I am new here and just placed a couple of small online orders to various retailers for some products. I am about to take ownership of a new Dark Green 4x4 Truck later this month. Due to it being winter it will be near impossible to wash/detail the 4x4 before use. Would a quick run or 2 through the brushless car wash be OK for a new vehicle without harming the paint before I get a chance to give it a proper cleaning? I am looking for suggestions on how to clean and protect it once the weather permits as well. The 4x4 will be out in the weather at all times and be used as it is intended and not just for show. I currently have most of the Mothers line with some Meguirs. On the way I have.......

Dodo:
    Gentle Grey Clay
    Born Slippery
    Wookie Fist

Griot's:
    Waffle Weave Drying Towel
    Wax Removal Cloths
    Glass Clay
    Wheel Cleaner
    Speed Shine

Surf City:
    Dash Away
    Beyond Black

eShine:
    Grit Guard
    Cookie Monster buffing towel
    Dodo Born To Be Mild
    Dodo Lime Prime Lite

Autogeek:
    Dodo Rainforest Rub

Do I have all bases covered? What am I missing?
    Thanks.
    b.

2. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

man i am hesitant to use any drive thru car wash. i used to build them in california and their recovery of water and reuse isnt comforting. i would fine a warm hose and just rinse it thouroughly.

3. Celtic Bob

They reuse the water? I never knew that. Maybe just keep hosing it off will suffice untill it gets warm. Thanks
    b.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Local by-laws require car washes to re-claim or recycle water. This means they have two choices.

a) They can collect the water in tanks and pay to truck it away to a recycling centre.

b) Or they can filter and then recycle the water (dependant on how often the filters are cleaned/changed) will affect how much dirt content there is. Recycled meaning re-use the same water, which may include any road dirt/grit that is not filtered out is used to high-pressure (1,000PSI) wash your vehicle (somewhat similar to sandblasting) the final rinse is usually twice-filtered re-cycled water, this is to give the appearance of a clean surface on the vehicle.

c) To help clean the recycled water they use a chemical like Presidium Orthophosphate (TSP) and have the chemical formula Na3PO4. It is a highly water-soluble ionic salt. Solutions of it dissolved in water have a high alkaline pH; this does a great job stripping your wax / sealant. TSP is generally not good for cleaning vehicles because it can corrode metal.

See also "Touchless Car Wash" Detailing School section (search doesn't seem to be working fo me anymore)

5. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

Do not use any carwash, do it yourself. Also Dodo Juice RR looks good but wont last long by itself, look at a sealant to put on first or even collinite 845. I know phil at detailers domain carries it.

6. edwinbong

edwinbong DB Forum Supporter

yes avoid car washes...

7. Celtic Bob

I will definitley avoid the car wash.
    The new vehicle is at the dealer's now so hopefully tomorrow I will have it.
    The Dodo RR I have is the sample pot. How many applications should I get on a truck?
    tks
    b.

8. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

ONR ftmfw!

9. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

I would say that you could get 2 to 5 uses out of the sample pot of RR. It really depends on the size of truck, if you are getting a Ford 350 crew cab long box i would say closer to 2 uses but if it is the size of a Ford 150 the you could stretch it to about 5 or 6 uses.

10. Celtic Bob

Toyota Tacoma so I should be good. :)

11. Celtic Bob

Looking like today I will finally get to clean my new 4x4. My current plan is below. Please comment. As I have mentioned earlier in this thread it is a new vehicle and has never been washed/waxed. I want to give it the best possible protection from the elements as well as giving it a deep wet shine.
    Thanks
    b.

Rinse
    Wash (Dodo Born to Be Mild)
    Dry (Griot's Waffle Weave Drying MF Towel)
    Clay (Dodo Grey Clay / Born Slippy)
    Pre-Wax (Dodo Lime Prime Lite)
    Wax (Dodo Rain Forest Rub)

Glass
    Stoners Invisible Glass
    Griot's Glass Clay / Speed Shine
    Aquapel Treatment

Wheels/Wheel Wells
    CG Grime Reaper (Wells)
    Griot's Wheel Cleaner (Rims)
    Mothers Clear Coat Wheel Wax
    Surf City Beyond Black (Tires)