New to rotary-need help

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by POPPAJ, May 13, 2008.

1. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Last year I purchased a HF rotary and experimented on the wifes mini van. 6.5 CCS and JW Prime. A little heavy from what I am used to, but all went well. I was proud with my first ever rotary experience. No marring or holigrams! WELL, over the winter months I picked up a Hitachi rotary and the Edge 8" pads. I was lookin to speed up my detailing process, thats all! Honest! Went to work on my Marauder deck lid to remove somewhat heavy scratches with the yellow pad and SIP. Wow, I was fighting the rotary all the time, tried spritzing the pad with pad conditioner but no difference. More polish, no difference and after a few minutes it starts hopping on a regular basis. Never exceeded 1500 RPM. I finally gave up and went back to my Flex and optimum polish with good results. Pad to hard? SIP dried too fast? Pad too big for me to handle?

Your input and help please!:help:

2. Nica

Nica Banned

You know that's one of the reasons why I put my Edge pads away. It just kept acting up with Menzerna, not sure what it is but I found the Edge pads just didn't get a long with Menzerna...there are a few other members that have noticed this too...but I had the same result as you POPPAJ.

So like I said I just put the pads a way and moved on :shrug: look forward to more feed back here.

3. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Thanks Nica,
    I feel somewhat better except for the big investment in the 8" edge pads. I'll try a 6.5 waffle pad before i give up on the Edge system completely. Maybe a different brand of polish.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

You should notice a big difference from the 8inch pads to the 6.5inch pads.

I tried Optimum with the Edge pads and it worked well...the only thing is that (this is just my opinio) is that Optimum didn't have the cut level I was after..but again that was just me.

I'd love to hear how you make out though or what ends up working out for you. As for the rotary, keep using it, the more you use it the better you get at it :thumb: